Thursday, September 23, 2010

Working at home with dogs: It's a question of productivity


Pug puppy sprawled out in his dog bed
Starting next week, I'll be working from home at least one day out of 5.  If Liam kept a calendar, I'm sure he'd be counting the days.  After all, in his mind, one more day spent with the boss at home means one more day the boss can spend throwing the ball, fetching chew toys from under the couch, scratching a hard-to-reach itch and going for long walks.  Pugs were bred to be companions, so they want to be actively involved with you -- unless they are sleeping.

Which made me wonder:  How much does an adult dog sleep during the day, on average?  Liam certainly doesn't sleep as much now at 3 years old as he did when he was a puppy.  How much work can I expect to get done?

The answer doesn't seem clear. I've seen estimates from 18 hours in a 24-hour period down to 4 hours in the same period.  This doesn't help me much.

Trainers say I should plan on taking at least two 15-minute "play breaks", where I throw the ball, play tug-of-war and try to wear the little guy out, so I can get some work done.

We'll see how that goes.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments: