Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pug food obsessions: To treat or not to treat?

Liam the pug waiting for his dog treat
Liam adores cookies, treats, leftovers and high-cal chew toys.  Wave novel food in his vicinity, and you will have a friend for life.

Pugs do not have fast metabolisms, as a rule.  Most pugs are overweight now, or well on their way to pudgy in the future.  I know the average dog treat is the caloric equivalent of a candy bar for me:  something I should only have on a special occasion if I have been very, very good.

However, I enjoy watching Liam enjoy himself.  I like watching his eyes widen when he things he's going to get something really, really good.  And I like to be the person who provides that really, really good thing.

So I give him treats and cookies.  Sometimes I let him lick the plate.  I do keep things in moderation, and he is far from fat, but a little voice inside me does say, from time to time, that I wish I could throw caution to the wind.  I'll eat a candy bar every day.  He will eat treats and leftovers whenever he pleases.  And when we get too big to fit through the door, we'll order in.

No comments: