Saturday, November 6, 2010

Food allergies in dogs: How to keep your pets safe

Liam the pug recovering from food allergies
I found out that the food we had been providing Liam isn't as safe as it would like it to be. The manufacturer switched production facilities and meat suppliers, and their foods have been subject to multiple recall warnings recently.

So I did what anyone would do: I switched him to Great Life dog food. I chose the chicken flavor, as its the closest thing to the food we had been feeding him. However, it turns out he is allergic to this particular formulation.

Liam's allergies aren't subtle. After just a few meals, he started dig, dig, digging at his knees, which broke out in small hives, and his feet and face began smelling like yeast. 

This is a pretty common allergic reaction to food, sadly, and it could be life-threatening if it keeps going.

So today, I switched him to a different formulation of the Great Life food. This formulation contains buffalo, which is a protein source Liam hasn't eaten before.

I'm hoping chicken is the offending ingredient in the dog food. But just in case, this new formulation also contains no corn, wheat, or potatoes. Perhaps these grains are the offending ingredients. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: