Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Weird cat behavior: Head shaking while eating

Eamon resting in a sun puddle after eating
My cats, both indoor and outdoor, tend to shake their heads when they have a mouthful of food. They pull in a bite, and then shake those heads like fury, back and forth and back and forth.

I have always wondered why they do this:  Are they trying to break the kibble's nonexistent neck? Is it for fun? Does the kibble have an irritating consistency? I tried to do research on this topic, and ended up stumbling across what has to be the weirdest site of the week.
Who got the unlucky job of determining how the feathers were plucked? Did the researchers provide the cats with the dead prey, or did they allow the cats to catch it by themselves? 
I know I am curious about my cats and their behavior. Perhaps I am more curious than most. But I certainly hope someone will stop me if I ever suggest something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment