Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Microchips and recordkeeping: Is your pup's chip up-to-date?

Liam seems safe with his microchip, but he could be at risk
When Liam was under anesthesia for his neuter surgery, I had a microchip placed. These tiny chips are placed underneath the skin with not-so-tiny needles, so I wanted to make sure he wasn't awake when the procedure took place.

Since that time, I've gotten married, moved, changed my name and changed my email address (you'd think I was part of a witness-protection program, but I assure you that this is not the case). That's a whole lot of change, and It suddenly occurred to me that, if Liam ran off and the finders attempted to reunite him with his family via his chip, they would have an extremely difficult time.

They might try to call my old numbers and get nothing but dead air. Same goes for email. And every day of delay could be agony for me, when I am waiting to be reunited with my little dog. 

So I called the company this morning and updated his information. In the process, I found out they had him listed as an all black pug mix. I had that corrected as well.

The company tells me that they will contact me (for a small fee, of course) at least once per year to ensure that all of his information is up-to-date.

Grudgingly, I will pay this fee.

During my time as a veterinary office worker, I encountered at least two dogs with out-of-date microchips. In both cases, the owners seem to have simply disappeared, and the dogs stayed with the people who found them. I'd hate to think of something similar happening to my little wild pug.

So, dear readers, I urge you to think about how many changes you've been through since your little dogs were chipped. It might be time for you to clean things up, too!