Monday, March 28, 2011

Celebrating a cat birthday: How to mark the kitty occasion

Eamon is wearing his party hat

On Friday, Eamon will be 10 years old. I know this isn't a long time in the life of a cat. Many cats live to be 20 or more. But I've never had a pet of my own reach the double digits.

Out of all of the animals I've had, I am frankly surprised that Eamon would be the one to break records. In his 10 years, he's had a broken toe, a cancerous tumor and three bouts with urinary crystals. He's had colds, eye infections and reactions to immunizations. He's fallen down stairs and been hung up in my blinds.

My life, while not so dramatic, has gone through significant changes as well. When I brought Eamon home, I was living by myself in a small house in Washington state with one cat and one dog. Now, two apartments and one condo later, we live in a large house in Oregon with two different inside cats, a different dog, and he now has a human dad to call his own.

The moral of this story is that pet ownership shouldn't be taken lightly. The cute little kitten you decide to bring home can stay with you for decades, and you'll have to make plans for your animal each and every time your life changes. That cat can also cost you a significant amount of money. The ASPCA puts that cost at something between $800 to $1,000 per year.

I, of course, believe the expense is worth it. I can't imagine a life without Eamon.