Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Growing your own catnip -- Update

Small catnip plants are starting to grow
My home-grown catnip has finally sprouted! (If you missed the introduction to this project, click here.) As I expected it took close to 3 weeks for the seeds to sprout and push up through the soil. This was probably exacerbated by the fact that it's been an unusually cold, dark spring in Oregon. Most seeds like daytime temperatures of about 80 degrees to sprout, and we've had nothing approaching 80 in a very long time. But, I faithfully misted my seeds each morning and kept them covered with plastic wrap until the seeds poked through.

Now, I will wait until the seedlings are about 2 inches tall, and then I'll thin the crop to only the strongest little plants. This will ensure that they don't compete with one another, and have enough room to grow.

Typically, you move catnip plants outside when they're 4 or 5 inches tall, but I'm concerned about doing this as I think our outdoor cats will simply tear down the plants once they're tall enough to hold blooms. Instead, I may transplant them into a larger pot when they're taller and keep them on the sunporch. But I haven't decided. Watch for updates later.