Thursday, May 26, 2011

Feline lip rodent ulcers are back

Maggie often has feline lip ulcers
Poor Maggie. Her upper lip is swollen and puffy and she doesn't want to eat very much. I'm pretty sure I know what will happen next. After a week or so, her lip will erupt into a bloody mess and she will be much more comfortable. She'll eat quite happily, although she'll get blood on her dishes and in the water bowl.

I know all this because it's happened before. She has a condition called "feline eosinophillic granuloma complex," which is also sometimes called "recurrent rodent ulcers." (These things do sometimes look like rat bites, which explains the name, I suppose.) This is, in essence, an allergic condition.

I have been able, in the past, to keep these problems at bay by switching her food. The last time she had an outbreak, about 2 years ago, I switched her to a grain-free diet in the hopes that I could prevent ulcers from ever forming again. But now that she's had another outbreak, it looks like I'm on the hunt for a new food.

If your cat has lip ulcers, it's best to work with your veterinarian on the proper solution. Sometimes food helps, sometimes an environment change helps and sometimes medications are needed. No web search can give you all the data you need.

But know that you're not alone, either. Maggie and I are right there with you. And we wish you the best!