Monday, May 9, 2011

Springtime, open windows and blind cats

Lucy the blind cat sitting in an open window
After many long, wet months in Portland, spring has finally arrived. This means we can open the windows once more and let the fresh air in.

If yesterday was any indication, Lucy will spend the entire spring and summer perched in an open window. In fact, she prefers the window in the stairwell.

This shocks me a little, I admit.

The windows on the lower level of the house are surrounded by trees filled with birds and bees. Typically, the sounds of prey nearby would attract her. These windowsills are also warmed by the sunlight in the afternoons, so they make prime napping locations.

But instead, she chooses a windowsill that is dark in the afternoon that faces the street. She listens for people and dogs walking by, but isn't treated to any prey noises.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a fast food joint down the street, and sometimes the smell of grilled meat wafts on the air to our house. Perhaps the smell of cooking food draws her to the window, and this is a bigger lure than the sound of potential food.

Hungry? This is the joint down the street. I may run down there myself.

But in the interim, I'll make sure the screens are packed tight every morning when I open the window. Lucy has great reflexes, and I have no doubt that she could right herself if she fell, but what then? What would happen to a blind cat lost in the neighborhood? It scares me to think about it.

So her safety must come first this spring. She deserves that.