Monday, June 13, 2011

Should you feed your cat a raw diet?

Eamon the cat eating his raw diet
A confession: I've been slow to adopt the idea of feeding a raw diet. I don't know if I buy the idea that cats simply cannot digest cooked food and they must eat uncooked protein in order to digest it properly. Call me crazy, but cats have been eating cooked food for hundreds of years, and I've seen plenty of cats live into their 20s just fine.

But for Eamon, I gave it a try.

He has kidney problems, and he has recurrent problems with urination, even on a prescription diet. He also has an incredibly fast metabolism, and can't seem to keep weight on. I've had his bloodwork checked, and it's all normal. He simply runs on a lot of fuel.

He's been on Rad Cat for about 2 months now. It's made locally, which I like, and the ingredient list is completely legible and understandable, which I also like.

Eamon scarfs this food down in about 5 minutes flat. He loves it.

His coat has changed from dull and thin to thick and shiny. And we've had no urinary flare-ups. For him, it's working.

I'm not convinced enough to use it on all of my cats. The others seem fine on the food we provide. But I am happy to have found a solution for Eamon. Maybe there is something to this raw diet after all.

For more information on Rad Cat, click here.

Disclosure: I was not compensated in any way for this review. I just like this food, and I wanted to write about it.