Friday, June 3, 2011

How often to clean your pug's nose

Liam the pug snuggled in his bed
One a week, I scrub out the fold above Liam's nose with an antifungal cleanser. It's designed to help kill yeast and dry the skin so he can avoid infections.

This all sounds great, but there's one major problem: Liam hates to have his face cleaned. He runs when he hears me getting the cleanser out of the cabinet and he pulls and squirms while I'm trying to clean.

So imagine my dismay to discover that a once-per-week cleaning session simply isn't enough.

Last week, he developed another fledgling infection in the fold above his nose. Luckily, we were able to beat it back with frequent scrubbings. But the fact remains that I'll have to clean his face more frequently if I want to prevent these problems from cropping up every month.

Most experts recommend cleaning a pug's facial folds every day, at least once per day. It may seem like a lot, but when you consider that pugs push their faces into everything, from dirt to food to water dishes, this approach makes a lot of sense. It's unlikely, however, that I'll need to use an antifungal cleanser each day. I can probably get away with blotting up moisture with a soft cloth each day and doing a deeper cleansing once per week.

Pardon me while I go and stock up on dog cookies. I'll need plenty of bribes to make this a semi-pleasant experience for Liam.