Monday, August 8, 2011

Crafting for cats

Tea towels that are completed and ready for auction
Completed tea towels, ready to go up for auction!
In my spare time, I like to do cross-stitch. It keeps my hands busy, and allows me to express a bit of my creativity. My animals love it when I get the sewing basket out, as it means I'm going to be sitting down for awhile and they can come sit with me. Most of my completed works have some sort of pet hair woven in with the thread as a result.

I recently completed this series of tea towels, but I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. I had started them as a wedding gift, but the couple had broken up when I was about half-done with this project, and I didn't want to just give up.

So I was thrilled when the House of Dreams Cat Shelter put out a call for craft donations. I knew I had just the right home.

House of Dreams is a no-kill cat shelter in the Portland area, and I have a special fondness for them and their work. They hold a fundraiser each year to support their work, and they ask people in the community to donate their own crafts for sale to help the cats. I can't think of a nicer way to put my tea towels to work.

If you do any sort of crafts, I encourage you to make something special for the House of Dreams auction. This flier will tell you about the sorts of things they're looking for and how you can donate. And plan to go to the auction yourself on November 12 at Tabor Space. You may just find some little tea towels that you can't live without.