Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cats in small spaces

Lucy the cat often crams herself in the catnip house

When I was new to cat ownership, I bought my cat several beds and placed them in prominent places around the room. I had been raised with dogs, and dogs love to have their beds in the middle of the action. I figured cats were the same, and I couldn't figure out why my cat would choose to sleep in the closet or in my grocery bag instead of the comfy bed I had provided.

I've learned a lot since then.

Most cats enjoy very tight spaces. My cats seem to have a special fondness for areas that seem too small to hold them. The more they must contort themselves, the more they want to enter.

Lucy, in particular, enjoys having a few small beds scattered about. She likes the bed pictured, in particular, because it's located in a corner of the room and she knows no one can sneak up on her when she's backed into the corner, facing out.

If you don't have any bed choices like this, a standard cat carrier will do. Just fill it with a layer of soft towels and remove the door. Place the carrier in a corner, and wait for the kitties to arrive. It's an inexpensive bed your cat is almost sure to love. Plus, it makes taking the cat to the veterinarian a bit easier. When your cat thinks of the carrier as her own personal bedroom, she may not worry when you close the door to take her away for her appointment. She'll associate the bed with safety, and that's half the battle.

But if you can't stand the idea of having a cat carrier set up and sitting out, 24 hours per day, there are a variety of cave-like beds made just for cats. Set up one in the corner, just like the one I have here, and sprinkle in a little catnip for enticement. Before you know it, you'll have a kitty paradise.

Enjoy!