Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Can pets help you heal?

Lucy prefers to help me from afar
Lucy prefers to give help from afar.
I'm back to blogging, after a week's worth of recovery from my shoulder surgery. During that time, I was too flat painful to do anything involving typing. And may of the fears I had when I wrote this blog post about preparing for surgery have come to pass. 

But while I wasn't able to write online, I was able to read quite a bit. And in this week following my surgery, I've read many stories of animals that helped their owners recover in miraculous ways after a major health incident. This is just one of many of these articles.

Either I have a set of spoiled critters or the claims are a bit bogus in the first place.

Liam spent most of last week trying to climb underneath my sling, which was incredibly painful for me. Once I cried out a few times, he kept his distance.

The cats were terrified by the change in my appearance and the way I was moving, and they simply avoided me at all costs and hissed at the sling when I took it off.

This phase has thankfully passed. But now, all the animals seem frustrated that I can't throw the ball, put the food down or pet them as I used to do.

Once again, while I would love to be a romantic and believe that animals sense our pain and want to help, I am reminded that animals are just animals. They are constantly most worried about their own survival, and our ability to provide food, care and comfort. For them, this surgery is disruptive and a bit scary. They don't see an opportunity to rise above and help. They see an opportunity for their lives to go downhill.

I can help by reassuring them, staying positive and sticking to routines. That's what I'm working on now. I'm off to feed them lunch right now, as a matter of fact. But if you're planning to experience something miraculous in response to your own health issue, take it from me. Your pets may love you with all their hearts. But healing? Forget about it.