Thursday, January 26, 2012

Does your dog have a toy addiction? Liam the pug sure does

Liam the pug surrounded by a sea of dog toys
"I can't seem to help myself!"
I think the picture above answers the question in this blog headline, but I'll add a few words down here anyway. Maybe I can at least attempt to explain what in the world is going on here.

Liam has three separate toy baskets in this house: one in the bedroom, one in the workroom and one in the downstairs living room. When I got all of these toy boxes, I figured it would help me keep toys off the floor. In almost every room I stand in, I have someplace to chuck the toys.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out that way, and after a few months, the downstairs toy box has no toys at all and the upstairs workroom box is full to bursting. So periodically, I empty all of the toy boxes and redistribute the wealth.

Apparently, I have lost track of the toys that Liam actually has. He destroys toys so frequently, and he has toys that he's singled out for special favors, so when I see those toys in the checkout aisle at the pet store, I tend to pick up a few. Often, it seems, I am picking up replacements when the originals are still in good condition. Looks like I've gone a little crazy with the tiny sheep and soft balls in particular.

So Liam gets no new toys! Enough is enough! Except for that long green dog... Had to throw that one out yesterday because he tore a hole in the ear... Maybe I'll pick up a few more balls while I'm at the store.

Is there a rehab program for dog toy shop-a-holics?