Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dog walking rant: Pedestrians have the right of way!

Liam the pug sitting in a pile of leaves
"Where did these people learn to drive?"
Twice each day, I take the pug through a walk in the neighborhood. He benefits from the exercise, and I often find that I do my best writing while I am away from the computer and out in the fresh air. In fact, I often have to dash to my notebook when I get home to jot down witty phrases I thought up while out on a stroll.

This morning, my walk was punctuated with two (count 'em, TWO!) episodes of idiotic driving. Here's the scenario: I have one foot in the street, stepping off the curb and into an intersection. A car also decides to enter the intersection, and I have to yank the dog back so he isn't hit.

People, this is illegal. Here is the statute. As you can see, it's pretty clear. If you're in a car and I am on foot, and we both approach an intersection at the same time, I have the right of way.

It doesn't matter if there is a painted crosswalk or not.

It doesn't matter how quickly or slowly I am walking.

It doesn't matter what time of day it is.

If I am in the intersection and you enter the intersection, you're in the wrong. This is a Class B moving violation, and according to my quick research, that's a $360 ticket.

This morning, these drivers both had their windows opened, which allowed me to yell "Unbelievable!" and "Right of way!" My husband yelled other unprintables. Perhaps tomorrow, I'll just yell "$360!"

Here's hoping this evening's walk is a little calmer, and I'll do a lot less yelling and a lot more writing.