Sunday, July 7, 2013

A stylish dog birthday party

Liam the pug and Sinead the Boston terrier in dress clothes
Liam the pug turns 6 this month, and while I could have bought him a few toys and called that an appropriate celebration, I wanted to do a little bit more. After all, he has a little sister now, so why not let her get into the act? So I pulled out the costumes and dressed the kids up for a little party.

Then, the search for an appropriate treat began. Many of the things we'd serve at a human birthday party, including chocolate, beer and ice cream, aren't good for dogs at all, and the snacks made just for dogs aren't the sorts of treats I'd like to eat.

In the end, I made the dogs a version of frosty paws, using a recipe I found on this website. There are some dairy-based ingredients, so I won't give the dogs more than one serving per day, but they are tasty little snacks that don't contain a huge amount of calories. I put one blueberry on the top, just for decoration, and used a sprinkle of hot dogs for a garnish. Liam had a full disk about the size of a hockey puck, but Sinead only got about a fourth of this amount. She's much smaller, after all.

Frosty paws treat surrounded by hot dogs

Liam and Sinead aren't allowed to eat unless they've been given the "all-clear" signal from me, and I thought I'd have trouble making them stay in the sit position while their treats were on the ground in front of them. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they sat before eating. I guess all that training is paying off!

Liam the pug and Sinead the Boston terrier waiting to eat

We all enjoyed our little snack, although I think Liam finished his in about 30 seconds. (Sheesh.) And yes, these are treats good enough for humans to eat. They're served right out of the freezer, so they're cool and refreshing, and the yogurt has a nice bite to it. I served mine without the hot-dog side, however.

Happy birthday, Liam!

No comments: