Tuesday, November 19, 2013

November 2013 BarkBox review: Dog toys and dog treats galore!

Liam the pug with a chew toy from BarkBox

I have big plans for this month's BarkBox. In just a few weeks, Sinead will be a year old, and I was hoping to throw her a bit of a party. I thought I'd set aside a few items from this month's box, along with a few other choice treats, so I could save myself a shopping trip and some added expense. It seems like a great idea, but it also means that I'll have a slightly truncated review this month. But stay tuned for photos and treats from Sinead's birthday, if you want to know the dirt on the items I'm not explicitly discussing here.

N-Bone Pearly Whites are the big winners in this month's Box. Liam is clearly enjoying his little treat from the goofy picture I've posted here, but both dogs seemed to like the idea of a minty chew. They settled right down with their bones, and there was no fighting and no residue left when treat time was over. I like that.

I brush both Liam and Sinead's teeth (which I've discussed here), so I'm not certain I need to add a dental treat to their daily routine. But if I need a few moments of quiet contemplation, it's nice to know that they'll accept these treats without leaving a mess behind. I might need to pick up a few for that purpose.

Bocce's Bakery Truffle Mac & Cheese Cookies had me a little perplexed, at first, as these treats don't have any kind of scent at all. When I opened the bag, I couldn't even smell flour. However, the dogs really loved these cookies, and they asked for more and more of them. In fact, they got more excited about these things than they did about any other cookies we've had in BarkBoxes in months past. So who knew? These are the treats for them.

Happy Howie's Sausages round out the treats the dogs have tried, thus far, and they (predictably) found these little snacks irresistible. Sinead likes them so much, in fact, that she won't eat them in front of either me or Liam. Instead, she takes her tiny bite of meat underneath the couch, so she can eat it in peace. That's a sign of love, in my book.

I like these treats because they're soft. Jerky treats often have a brittle, tough texture that can encourage chewing and work, but I'm always afraid the dogs will try to gobble those treats and swallow huge bits in the process. The soft nature of these treats doesn't fill me with the same sense of terror, and I can even break the treats apart in order to give them bite-sized snacks. I like that a lot.

Etta Says Jerky is a special treat I'm holding back for Sinead's birthday, and as a result, I have no real words of wisdom to share. But I'll be sure to discuss this product in detail when the party has passed!

P.L.A.Y. Zuccchini Toy is this month's plush item, and it's remarkably cute. Plus, it's made quite well, with double stitching and very sturdy fabrics. I hope it'll last a little longer than last month's toy, which had an early death I outlined here. Very sad. Anyway, this will be a special toy for Sinead's birthday, but the toy also came with a bonus that will make her day extra special. Attached to this toy was a recipe for cupcakes for dogs! I'm planning to make her a batch. That's a nice little addition.

All in all, this was a great BarkBox. As usual, I'm anxiously awaiting the next one!

No comments: