Friday, January 10, 2014

Thoughts on senior cats

black cat Ikea cat bed
Maggie rarely makes an appearance on this blog. She's appeared in a few pieces that have to do with Eamon's health, and I did torture her by making her show up in a demonstration piece involving nail trims, but I often allow her to hide in the background. She doesn't like having her photo taken, and she rarely has any noteworthy health problems that merit blog coverage (thankfully).

But, this week, she joins the senior club. Yup, she turns 10.

Prior to adding Eamon to my household, I had serious difficulties in getting cats to reach their golden years. My first rescue had a fatal bladder problem, my first kitten struggled with kidney failure and the next cat I had developed a lung tumor. I started to wonder if I'd ever have seniors.

So I take special pride in breaking my losing streak. At the moment, my house has four senior cats, in a home with five cats total. I'm doing it right!

But in honor of Maggie's birthday, I thought I'd devote a little space to photos of her throughout the years. The "how big will my kitten get" post I did awhile back remains one of the most popular posts on this site (who knew?), and these photos might tell the tale of growth and maturity much better than charts and statistics do.

So here goes!
tiny kitten big cat bed
First week at home. She's so fluffy!

tiny black kitten baby gate
She was also adept at scaling baby gates.
black cat and Boston terrier
Staring out the window was a favorite hobby.
cats Christmas tree
And it's one she still enjoys.
black cat Boston terrier
She has a playful side.
black adult cat bed
But she's just as content to rest.
Here's to 10 more years!

No comments: