Friday, May 23, 2014

Have active dogs? Yearly checkups are a must

Sinead the boston terrier tries to get me to throw a ball

Liam the pug and Sinead the Boston terrier are active little dogs that like to play, play, PLAY from sunup to sundown. They're happy enough to hang out with me, as long as I'm throwing the ball, but if I'm not feeling particularly zesty, they're more than happy to throw down some moves on one another. Here's a vid of that action from a little earlier this week, when our BarkBox came.


Active pets like this seem healthy, and on the surface, it might seem like a waste of time to take them to the vet. After all, they're healthy as anything. What would I have to talk about in a visit?

Plenty. And that's why we go every year.

In a standard preventive visit, I have the chance to really talk about how the critters are doing. Vaccines are part of the protocol on some years, but sometimes, I ask questions about weight or supplements or nail length. In last year's Liam visit, I got some good tips about ear cleaning, and that's meant fewer health troubles for him this year. Previously, I learned a little more about proper dosing of Benadryl, so I could handle his allergic reactions at home, rather than going to the ER. In the end, that saved me a lot of money.

I know that we're all busy and that there are plenty of things we'd all rather do than worry about preventive care. But, it really can make a big difference, and it's something we should all provide for our pets at least yearly.

Now, if you'll forgive me, I have a little dog that wants me to throw the ball.
Liam the pug looks worried


No comments: