Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Natural, effective flea and tick repellant: A cat and dog product review

Jasper the cat on his deck outside

I'm not a big fan of using commercial flea and tick preventives on my cats, especially since Eamon had such a serious reaction to a topical ointment not too long ago. On the other hand, I know that cats being eaten alive by fleas can be remarkably uncomfortable, and each little bite could put them at risk for developing worms.

PetNaturals of Vermont has a product made just for cat owners like me, and the company sent me a sample to try out on my cats. I'm happy to say that they liked it, and it seems to work pretty well.

This product, which is called simply "Flea + Tick" contains natural ingredients, including:
  • Lemongrass oil
  • Cinnamon oil
  • Sesame oil 
  • Castor oil 
It's designed for topical use, and a few little squirts is often enough to coat an entire cat. Not surprisingly, my cats weren't thrilled with the idea of being sprayed with a liquid (most cats hate that), but I gave both Jasper and Beorn tasty treats after the sprays, so they tolerated the treatments.

After putting that spray on, both of these cats smelled simply wonderful, too, as though they'd been in some kind of exotic bakery or something. They didn't mind the smell, which was nice, and the oils did seem to make their coats look glossy and healthy. Most importantly, however, I didn't see these guys jump after fleas in the hours after I applied that oil.

I haven't combed my cats for fleas, so I can't say with certainty that they don't have a rider lying in wait here or there. But I have been applying this product faithfully, and I'm still not seeing any fleas jumping around. I like the idea that I could use a non-toxic product on these cats that could protect them from invaders.

Outdoor cats sleeping in the sun

Also, as the weather heats up, I would think that these cats would be more amenable to a spray, especially if I put that spray in the refrigerator. A cool, refreshing spray on a warm day might be just the ticket for a hot cat, and the contents might also help to condition the coat and keep the kitty looking great. That seems like a good benefit, too.

If you'd like to try this product for yourself, the manufacturer is providing a free bottle to the first 100 people who fill out the form found here (Update: Sorry! The promo is over). People who miss out on that particular offer can still get coupons if they fill that form out, too.

So this was a review opportunity for me, and I got samples for my time. But, I like this product and I encourage my readers to try it. Beorn and Jasper sure did!

Disclaimer: I was sent samples as compensation for an honest review. I alone am responsible for this content, and no money changed hands. Rest assured that I only recommend products that I believe provide real value. This disclosure comes in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: