Friday, July 18, 2014

4 goodies dogs love from the July BarkBox (and one meh choice)

Sinead the Boston terrier and her toy

This month's BarkBox came with two toys, and as I've mentioned before, that's a must in this dog household. Pug Liam and Boston terrier Sinead love one another, sure, but they also love to have things that are just for them. "Mine!" must float through their little dog brains on a regular basis.

Anyway, this month's selection was good enough that I decided to do a short-and-sweet review of the products we received, along with a little feedback that I'm hoping might prompt an even better box in August. So here goes.

The big hit in this box was a crab toy from P.L.A.Y. This is a fairly big toy with a gigantic squeaker, so the dogs are (naturally) thrilled with the idea of grabbing this thing and biting it as they run from place to place. I'm sure that will get grating in time, but for now, it's pretty charming.

The second big hit (for Liam, anyway) is a bag of PetSafe Indigo Triple Chews. These are designed to provide a probiotic that will boost a dog's gut microbe content, presumably to make digestion a little easier. More importantly, for me, these treats seem to take a long time to eat. Liam had to work on it for 20 minutes, and that's a huge amount of time for him. I'll keep that in mind when I need to do something time-consuming, like pruning the roses. Unfortunately, Sinead won't be getting any more of these. She had just one, and she's had some digestive upset. No micro-flora for her!

Liam the pug with his whale toy from BarkBox

Liam is also a fan of the second toy in this box: A corduroy whale toy from Loopies. This toy has a soft exterior, but the nap is pretty exaggerated, so it must feel interesting to him when he chews on it. I'm happy with this toy, too, as it looks like it's well made and won't fall apart. I appreciate toys that can stand the chew test.

We got some treats from Think!Dog, and I had to do a little snicker at this one. The people at BarkBox do a great job of describing their products and the cost of each piece, but this month's card had no clever description of this treat. Instead, we got a repeat of the description for the whale toy. Whoops! (Hey, BarkBox: I'm a freelance editor. Happy to help!) Anyway, this particular set of treats is made with crab jerky. I haven't tried that out quite yet.

It's the last treat that leaves me a little cold. It's a smoothie product from Mr. Barksmith's, and my dogs simply hate these things. The last few times I've tried them, they've walked away. I'd love to see a different type of cooling treat come down the pike in the future. This one isn't quite right for my guys.

Eiffel tower toy for dogs

And similarly, I'd like a ban on canvas toys. I know they should seem durable and able to stand the test of time, but each time we've gotten a canvas-based toy, the dogs have ruined it within days. This toy from the June BarkBox, for example, came apart at the junction between the toy and the manufacturer's label. I repaired it once, and it broke again. No more canvas, please!

That's it for this month! If you'd like your own BarkBox, use my code! You'll get a discount, and (disclaimer!) I'll get get a free box.

No comments: