Friday, July 25, 2014

Can you spare a sec for Wendy Bird the rescue cat?

Black kitty in a bed

This week, I thought I might do something a little different. Rather than focusing on the pets that live with me, I thought I might step away to discuss sweet Wendy Bird, an adoptable cat at the Willamette Humane Society in Oregon. I'm hoping you'll read this and share it with your social circles, so we can get her out of the shelter for good.

At the moment, Wendy is just one of more than 80 cats who are waiting for a home in this shelter. I volunteer there on Wednesdays, and I can attest that his particular shelter is pretty full, but many cats who come into this shelter march right back out again, in the arms of new families.

But Wendy is a hard sell it seems, as she's been waiting for a home since the middle of May. During Wendy's long stay in the shelter, she's seen many of her roommates come and go, but she keeps waiting for someone to notice her. Thankfully, she's working on her shyness, and it's possible that she's made so much progress that someone will take a chance on her.

For example, when I first met Wendy, she was so shy and scared that I didn't even know she was in the room. She hid in this little scratching post, pressed all the way at the back, and she never made a sound. The next week, she felt comfortable enough with me to respond when I called her name. I even got that particular moment of sweetness on video.


But I saw the biggest amount of improvement this week, when I went to see Wendy and found her out in the middle of the room, confidently drinking water and eating breakfast. She seems much more trusting these days, much more interested in interactions, and I think this is the perfect time to introduce her to the home environment.

But that means someone has to step up and adopt her. I'm hoping we can do that by networking. Share her story, talk with others about her, and try to get her out of the shelter and into someone's home.

If you want more information about her, here's a link to my original blog post about her on the WHS website.
Wendy Bird the adoptable cat

Thanks, in advance, for helping to rescue this sweet girl, who wants nothing more than a home to call her own. Let's make it happen for her!

No comments: