Friday, October 3, 2014

Dawg Grog: An unsolicited review of a product (that I actually really like!)

Sinead the Boston terrier and her dog grog
Beer, recycling and dogs. Someone took all of these things, mashed them up together, and made a product out of it. Only in Oregon, right?

But this particular product isn't really a gimmick. It's actually a pretty cool beverage for dogs, and I like it so much that I'm writing a little blog entry about it without either compensation or a request from the producer. Wild!

Anyway, I first found out about Dawg Grog when I attended a meetup (cleverly called a "Yappy Hour") held by my local humane society. The humans had beer, and the pups had grog. Sinead was much too freaked out to try the stuff, of course, but I was intrigued by it, so I picked up a bottle to take home.

Two dogs waiting for a treat
"Will you stop typing and give us some already?!?!?"

What caught my eye was the inclusion of glucosamine. Both Liam and Sinead have wacky joints, and they're already taking supplements that do a great job of keeping them protected. I was interested in providing that protection in a form they might actually like.

Plus, I'm always on the lookout for new treats, particularly those that come in liquid form, as they can be frozen and served on super-hot days when I have a hard time keeping these guys cool.

I'll leave you to check out the ingredient list on the manufacturer's website, but I can tell you that this stuff is non-alcoholic and non-carbonated. But it does use a byproduct from the brewing process, so it smells a little like beer. And these guys love it.

I can pour it right over their meals, just like this.

Dog food samples


And watch them scramble to eat this as quickly as they possibly can.


Cats can also try this treat, but Lucy seemed a little confused by the whole thing. I gave her a bowl on the other side of the baby gate (to prevent theft from overeager dogs), and this was her response.

Lucy the cat looking confused
"Um, what is this?"

Thankfully, nothing goes to waste in this house. Even though Lucy wasn't eager to give this a try (and neither was Eamon or Jasper or Beorn or Maggie, so it was a full cat strike at this house), there were plenty of other takers.

Dogs hoping for beer
"Can I have hers? Please?"
This product isn't being sold in Salem at the moment (darn!), but I can buy it online. And you can bet that I will buy it. The dogs love it!

No comments: