Thursday, February 12, 2015

Picky cat? Try dog treat toppers

Eamon the cat with an empty plate

As Eamon's gotten older and his arthritis has grown stronger and stronger, I've been forced to give him all sorts of different supplements and medications to keep him comfortable and pain-free. Unfortunately, some of these medications also make my guy a little reluctant to eat. It's not at all unusual for him to leave a little kibble on his plate when dinner is done.

Recently, staffers at Stewart sent me some samples of freeze-dried liver treats for dogs, and I got an idea. You see, these little treats break down a little during shipment, and that means there's a little dusting of powder at the bottom of the container. I wondered if Eamon might eat a little better if I put some of that powder on his food.

Eamon the cat cleaning up his plate

I'm planning to tell you more next week about these treats next week in a post featuring Liam and Sinead. So watch for that post to see why these treats are great training tools for dogs. But, in the interim, I can tell you that Eamon really wolfed down his food when he had 1/4 teaspoon of dried treat to nosh through.

He also felt comfortable with the idea of just eating these treats out of our hands, which might be a way to get him to snack on something to whet his appetite on days when he doesn't feel much like eating.

Eamon the cat eating a snack

The freeze-dried treats we're trying are made with 100% liver, and they're produced in USDA-inspected facilities. I feel very comfortable handing them out, even to pets like Eamon that aren't at optimal health. But, these are treats, so they shouldn't be used as a diet substitute. Although Eamon might like it if we went that route.

Eamon the cat sticking out his tongue

As I mentioned, I'll be doing a more comprehensive review of these treats with the dogs next week. But, if you do have a picky cat that isn't always interested in chowing down, these treats might be nice for you to try. They're certainly a hit over here!

Disclaimer: I was sent samples of these treats to try. The opinions and words are my own. No money changed hands in return for this review.

No comments: