Monday, March 2, 2015

Shelter stories: Meet Troy the cat

black cat in an animal shelter
Once a week, I do a bit of volunteering with the Willamette Humane Society. I clean up the cat cages, spend time socializing the wee ones and then write up a blog post about a few select cats. Sometimes, the cats I work with stick with me, even though they don't seem to resonate with potential adopters. I thought I'd talk them up in a series of posts I'm calling "shelter stories." Here's the inaugural edition. 

Sweet cat Troy forced our meeting. As I was dashing by his kennel to pick up supplies, Troy hopped up out of bed to give me a little chirrup of greeting.

I was hooked.

At the time, there were something like five cats in the shelter that were just like Troy. All of these cats had ebony fur. All were older than 10. And all of them had excellent multi-pet histories. I just knew one of the four would be left behind. With such a big selection of cats who have the same attributes, one is bound to be overlooked.

Troy was the unlucky one, and four weeks later, he is still waiting.
black cat in a shelter
On the one hand, I can understand why a family might resist his charms. He's at least 10 years old (maybe older), so he doesn't have years and years of happy life left to devote to a family. For those afraid of loss, picking a younger cat might seem wise.

And, Troy is a thin little guy. He was found as a stray, and since he has no claws, he probably struggled to find food to eat. He can't bring down birds and rodents like other cats. And since he has no weapons on his hands, he can't fight his way to food bowls. So he got thin while he was in the wild. Petting him is a sad reminder of his rough life, as you can feel his little bones.

That kind of thinness is hard for Troy to overcome in the shelter, in part, because he is so friendly and engaging. He leaps right up whenever he sees people, and he doesn't lie down unless he gets attention. That activity burns a lot of calories, and it doesn't leave him with a lot of spare time in which to eat. So he came in thin and he's still thin. It's a problem, and it could be part of what keeps this guy from getting adopted.

But, Troy is doing his part. In fact, he's working really hard at salesmanship.

He uses chirping and cheeping to draw your attention. He reaches out of his kennel to grab at your hands and hair. And should you open the kennel door, he leaps out to give full hugs while he purrs. He's trying to tell a family how much he wants a home. I'm just hoping someone out there will listen.

I'm keeping my eye on Troy, and I'm looking forward to seeing him on Wednesday. I have some ideas about treats he might like. But, gentle readers, I encourage you to share his story. I'd like to see him adopted. Soon. Can you help?

Update: I'm a sucker, and I took Troy home myself. Now, he's a regular in this blog. Read his inaugural post involving introductions right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment