Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sinead shows off her new dog chew toy

Sinead the Boston terrier and her toy

I'm a big fan of dog chew toys. Dogs that nibble on toys tend to leave furniture, shoes and other valuables alone. And, all of that chewing helps these little guys to remove plaque from their teeth, which could result in fewer vet bills for me. (One of my earliest blog entries was about chew toys. Check it out.)

Finding the right chew toy isn't always easy, though, as many toys come with flaws that are downright dangerous. Some break into little pieces that these dogs can swallow, while others are so hard that they pose a danger to a canine's canines.

So I'm thrilled to find this chewer from Pet Qwerks. It seems to have everything I'm looking for.

Sinead playing with her dog toy
Action shot!
This toy is ridged and stippled, and that bumpy covering does wonders for dog teeth. Sinead has spent a good portion of every evening just gnawing on this toy, and while she didn't have tartar to begin with (since I brush her teeth), her choppers do look pretty clean at the moment. I think the chewing helps.
Sinead the Boston terrier and her toy
Yet more action!
But as these photos make clear, this is more than a mere chew toy. Sinead enjoys playing tug with this toy. She cheats (see how close her tiny teeth are to hubby's fingers), but when she's playing fair, she has one end of the ring while we have the other. The give of the plastic makes for a great game of tug that I can play without growing tired.

Sinead the Boston terrier and her toy
And, we're still playing!
Plus, the toy is pretty light. I can throw it for games of fetch without worrying that I'll dent the floor or otherwise ruin my house. And Sinead can pick this up and run with it, which she loves.

So, I'm declaring this a winner! Here's hoping your dogs love this toy as much as mine do.

No comments: