Friday, June 26, 2015

Did you fail during Take Your Dog to Work Day? You need these 5 tips

Pug and Boston terrier with reference books

How many of you are loving PSI's Take Your Dog to Work Day(r)? Most of you? Or none of you?

I'll bet there are people in both camps, and they might even be in the same office!

For those of us who work from home (like me!), every day is Take Your Dog to Work Day. Liam and Sinead are ever-so-helpful with my research, as you can see, and I love having them around to give me a little chuckle.

For example, here's what they looked like when I told them they wouldn't get paid for this photo shoot.

Angry pug and Boston terrier

I kid.

But all joking aside, having a dog at work is truly wonderful. But it's also a lot of work. And that's especially true if you're taking a dog out of a beloved home environment and plopping it down somewhere like an office. Dogs like routine, and until that office becomes part of a routine, taking the dog there can be a trial.

So if you took your dog to work today and it didn't go quite as planned, don't beat yourself up. It was new for you and your dog, and you probably both learned something important. And here are a few tips you can use to make the next visit even better.

1. Bring a bed. 

Asking a dog to sit on industrial carpet for 8 hours just isn't smart. Your dog is much more likely to know when to rest (and where to rest) when you bring a favorite bed from home. Plus, it'll smell like a familiar and safe place, and that might also help your dog to calm down.

2. Limit interactions. 

Meet-and-greet might be your dog's favorite activity in the world. But interactions like this can also be super stimulating which, again, keeps your dog out of the calm zone you need so you can get some work done. Until your dog is used to the routine, keep the visits to a minimum.

3. Give the dog a job. 

Focused dogs are much too busy to be bad. Look for things your dog could do in order to make the time fly right by. Puzzle toys, treat toys or even sturdy chews could keep a dog's mind focused so that you can also get into a focused zone.

Small Boston terrier and book

4. Provide reassurance. 

It's tempting to toss out commands all day long, especially if you're concerned about dog misbehavior. But be sure to sprinkle in a little praise from time to time, too. You'll strengthen the bond you have with your dog and emphasize the good things the pup is doing while on the job.

5. Stick with it.

Don't expect perfection from your dog on the first day at the office. It's a tough environment, and there's a lot to learn. Just be positive and keep working at it. Soon, your dog will have the ropes down perfectly and you'll be the envy of your coworkers.

Any of you bring a pup to work today? How did it go? Love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Y'all!

    My Human used to take my big sis, now over the Rainbow Bridge, with her when she worked on Saturdays. She would lay on her bed in her office until 4pm when she got up, got her lead and shoved it in my Human's lap. She didn't want to stay any later.

    Now my Humans works from home. Sometimes in the winter or late fall I get to go to meetings with them. I don't always get to go in; sometimes I have to wait in the car. I love to ride along though.

    Check us out at our new home http://www.browndogcbr.net.

    Our theme is still changing periodically as we try to select one that works the best for us and you, our readers.

    Y’all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note! I'll have to pop over there and check out your site.

      Delete
  2. Excellent tips!! I love the pics too. Thanks for stopping by and it is very nice to "meet" you!
    xo
    Chloe and LadyBug and mama Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips and I think they also apply to cats. I don't work from home, but when I'm on the computer at home my cat is always trying to get my attention. I must try some of these tips with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about cat-at-work tips, but you're right, a lot of them would work! Thanks for the note.

      Delete