Monday, July 6, 2015

Introducing the picky cat food challenge: #WhatWillTroyEat?

Black cat licking lips
Update 7/24/2015: The sweepstakes is up and running! Enter here.

Next week, I'm headed off to Seattle for a 4-day marketing conference. That means Troy will be here with my husband, and it probably means that he'll go on a hunger strike.

I talked about this in a previous blog post, written when I got home from BlogPaws. While I was away at that conference, Troy ate very little. And that's a problem, as he's a thin rescue cat that needs to gain a pound or two in order to get back up to his fighting weight.

Since BlogPaws, Troy has been happily noshing on Weruva's BFF cat food line. But, I wanted to make extra sure that I had just the right food on hand when I hopped on that Seattle train.

Here's where the fun starts.

The Weruva team sent me a great big box of cat foods for Troy to try. Check out how many different products are included. It's a little amazing!
Picky senior cat and cat food
I'm doing a bit of experimentation, and it started this weekend.

Every evening, Troy's dinner consists of one of these cat food products. I'm keeping detailed notes about what he loves, likes and doesn't really like at all. And when I'm back from my trip, I'll release the names of the top three products he likes most.

And here's the best part.

In that summation entry, I'll announce the details of a sweepstakes I'll be hosting on this blog in concert with the nice team at Weruva. The winner of that sweepstakes will get a variety pack of goodies.

So watch this blog closely for details. And meanwhile, be sure to track my Facebook page for information about how the trials are going. I'm going to tag those posts with a #WhatWillTroyEat hashtag, so they'll be easy to spot.

All jokes and fun aside, this is a serious issue, as cats that go on hunger strikes can face some very significant health problems, including serious kidney disorders. I need to keep Troy eating, so I'll have him for many years. So far, that hasn't been easy.

I'm thankful to Weruva for giving me the opportunity to really explore this old guy's food preferences. And I'm hoping my experimentation will help all of you picky-cat caretakers, too!

So wish us luck! And if your cat has a clear favorite Weruva food, hit me up in the comments. I'd love to know if something should move to the front of the taste-test line!

Disclosure: I am not being compensated for this post or the subsequent Facebook posts or followup posts. Instead, I received the products I am reviewing at no charge, and I agreed to write up my thoughts about them. Rest assured that all opinions I express are 100% my own, and they're given honestly.

10 comments:

  1. I’m a picky eater too. I must say one of my fave foods is any of the Weruva pouches containing the pumpkin soup. Sometimes I eat it like it the best food in the world. Other times I lick the pumpkin soup and walk away. Occasionally I’ll just turn my nose up at it. Go figure. PS: Weruva also sells their food under the Soulistic brand only available at Petco and much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out! One of those packets was included in my goodie box...

      Delete
  2. Cats are fussy eaters! I feed my cat a homemade raw food diet so I don't know which Weruva food is best. I wonder which one Troy will like...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I used raw with one of my cats for many years, and I tried Troy on a raw sample, but he wasn't a fan. So far, he likes things that are really, really, REALLY stinky. Since raw tends to come with no odor, they don't seem to appeal to him. It's a bit of a bummer.

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking of adopting a cat for when we move aboard the boat. But the learning curve for a new pet sounds daunting. And now you get me thinking about fussy eating?

    I knew a sailor who lived with a cat. He fished every day to keep his little guy fed. I don't know what he would have done if the cat had suddenly gone off fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be discouraged! I have 6 cats, and all of them have gone through picky moments that were fairly easily solved. Troy is the only cat I've had that's persistently picky. I'll bet you could find the perfect sailor cat just fine... I'm envisioning a tom with a jaunty hat on. Darling, right?

      Delete
  4. Our cats loved the Weruva I brought home. Of course, they are not picky eaters and will pretty much eat anything including Ruby (our dog's) new raw diet. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious! Mine won't go near the dog's raw food. Of course, the dogs won't LET the cats get near, either, so there's not a lot of experimentation going on!

      Delete
  5. Brulee is a very picky eater and Weruva is one of the products she will eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good vote of confidence! You'll have to come back for the sweepstakes and win some stuff for Brulee.

      Delete