Monday, July 27, 2015

Need a pick-me-up? Try 8 photos of happiness!

Small Boston terrier puppy napping on the floor in sunshine
Last week, my friends at The Daily Pip nominated me for an awesome new challenge called "8 photos of happiness." It's a brand-new tag, started by Ariel's Little Corner of the Internet, designed to allow bloggers to pop up 8 examples of photos that are truly smile-worthy.

Sinead sleeping in the sunshine, shown up top, is an easy addition. After all, who doesn't love Boston terrier puppies, right? But I have a few surprises planned for this post, too, so you'll want to keep reading.

Here goes!
Boston terrier with open mouth after surgery
This is Seamus. He was my very first dog, my very first Boston terrier, and the subject of my very first blog entry (you can read that here). He looks a little unusual because he endured a nasty mouth cancer and a disfiguring surgery. But I love this photo because of his expression. This guy was very loving, and that really comes through in this photo. It never fails to make me smile.

Pug and blind cat in a dog bed, sharing a tennis ball
Speaking of surgeries, here's what little Lucy looked like before her eye operation. I'll admit that I miss her pretty lashes and deep-black lids. She looked so exotic! But I don't miss the constant cleanup her weeping eye sockets needed (and she really didn't like to be handled, either). Liam and Lucy had a very close relationship when she was a kitten, and that really shows in this photo.

Pug and two humans on a bench
Here's Liam, hubby and me. Why are we so happy, you ask? Because this shot was taken on our honeymoon. We, of course, took Liam with us, and someone was nice enough to snap this new family photo for us. Pretty great, right?

Black cat on her back
This pretty cat isn't one of mine. She's a shelter cat. Every week, I volunteer at Willamette Humane Society, and I snap shots and write up notes about the cats looking for homes. This is my favorite shot of any cat I've taken during the year or so that I've been volunteering. This senior girl, Vita, just couldn't understand why I wouldn't pet her belly and she got more and more creative with her requests. This photo captures her perfectly.

Black cat on his side taking a nap
After a year of volunteering, I finally fell in love with one cat. This is Troy. (And he's the subject of the picky cat food challenge sweepstakes. Have you entered for a chance at free food? Do it now!) I snapped this photo just 30 minutes after bringing him home. He was so exhausted from months of trying to get adopted at the shelter. Rescuing him, and seeing him relax, might end up being one of the high points of this year.

Large bouquet of red and white roses in an urban gardener's hands
Most of my happy photos have to do with pets. But I do have other interests, too (it's true!). Roses are a particular passion, and one of my plants has really taken off this year. Here I am holding just a few of the flowers I pulled from that rose on a sunny day.

Brown tabby cat and black kitten playing
And finally, here are Eamon and Maggie caught mid-wrestle. I think Maggie was about 4 months old here, and she had a lot of energy. Eamon is a wrestling machine, and he was more than happy to help her work out some of her playful side. Eamon's arthritis (more on that here) keeps him from playing like this anymore. But I'm glad to have this shot as evidence of him in healthier days.

That's it! And as part of the challenge, I need to tap a few other bloggers to participate. I choose:
If any of you have already done this challenge (or you plan to), then ignore the tap. But if you can, let's keep this thing going! It seems pretty fun. See the rules here.

11 comments:

  1. Love all your photos! The happiness shines through in all of them :) Your roses are beautiful!! I hope to have a garden someday. Thank you for sharing all the adorable photos of your fur babies, and for tagging us for the challenge! We'd love to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  2. Love all your photos! The happiness shines through in all of them :) Your roses are beautiful!! I hope to have a garden someday. Thank you for sharing all the adorable photos of your fur babies, and for tagging us for the challenge! We'd love to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! They all made me smile! Vita, the shelter kitty, looks very much like Rosie. She always sits like this, too! I love that you brought Liam on your honeymoon.

    Great pictures! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! And the kitty floppers are favorites of mine. I was sorely tempted by Vita!

      Delete
  4. Some beautiful smiles there, human and furries. Great pictures. I am loving these pics of happiness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is a really fun challenge, I gotta say. It's nice to share positive stuff.

      Delete
  5. Very sweet! Congrats on your marriage!
    What a great happiness lineup!
    www.DzDogs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a ton of fun pulling this together.

      Delete