Thursday, November 5, 2015

Solve dog and cat digestion woes with pumpkin! (And win a cool product)

Liam and Sinead with pumpkin patch up from Weruva

This morning, I woke up to a nice little pile of kitty barf in the carpet, and when Liam walked outside for his morning constitutional, things were a little runnier than I'd like them to be. Despite my best efforts in keeping my pets healthy and happy, their digestive tracts act up from time to time.

And you know what helps? Pumpkin.

Pumpkin is high in fiber, so it's a great tool to deploy when pet poo is a little bit on the liquid side. And, pumpkin is packed with all sorts of vitamins that support eye, immune system and gut health. That means pets with tummy troubles can really benefit from a pop of pumpkin.

But in the past, finding a pumpkin product to serve on an intermittent basis has been a little tricky. Most cans of pumpkin puree I can find in the grocery store are just huge, given that I might only need a tablespoon or so to help keep my pet guts in order.

So I was thrilled to find out about this new product from Weruva. It's called Pumpkin Patch Up, and it's made for both dogs and cats.

Pumpkin in a bowl of dog food

This product is made with just two ingredients: pumpkin and water. And in the bowl, it looks just like canned pumpkin. But there's just a little bit in each package, so I'm not left with a ton of leftovers when the meal is complete. That makes this product great for a single-serving solution.

And the animals in this household loved the stuff. Liam actually thought he might like to eat a little more. He looks a little forlorn at this empty bowl.

Liam the pug looking suspicious by his empty food bowl
"What do you mean, I ate it all?"
And outdoor kitty Jasper got a little taste, too. Cats like Jasper, who have super long coats, can develop hairballs during weather changes. Jasper is dealing with that now, and it looks like he's been using grass as a DIY solution, given that I'm finding a few piles of thrown-up grass in the yard. Pumpkin might work a little better, as the bulk of the meal might help Jasper to scrape the gunk out of his tummy. He seems to like the taste, too.

Jasper the cat eating a lunch with kibble and pumpkin
Would you like to try some of this great product? I thought so. And the kind folks at Weruva are prepared to give away a box to one lucky winner. Use this widget to enter.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Official contest rules

  • The contest runs between 12 AM Eastern on 11/5/2015 and it ends at 12 AM Eastern on 11/30/2015.
  • No purchase necessary.
  • To enter, use the widget in this blog. No other entry formats allowed. 
  • The number of eligible entries received will determine your odds of winning.
  • The winner will be chosen at random from the eligible entries. 
  • The name of the winner will be posted on this blog, and I'll contact you through the data you provide on the widget. 
  • The winner will have 1 week to claim the prize, and if it's not claimed, a new winner will be chosen at random.
  • The prize will be sent to the winner by Weruva, so you'll need to provide a valid mailing address.
  • Open to residents of the United States, older than age 18.
  • Void where prohibited by law.
Good luck!

Update 20151201: Winner has been chosen! Congratulations to Laura, and thanks to everyone for entering!

A disclosure

I was sent samples to try as compensation for this blog post. I wasn't paid for my time, nor was I provided with specific words to use in my review. All of the opinions expressed here are my own (and they weren't purchased!).

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea to have it in a small pouch like that! We love the look on Liam's face in that third picture. He definitely would like some more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems super convenient. I hate having to throw away half a can of pumpkin because I can't use it up fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great way to add pumpkin in my dogs' diet. I use it for Pierre's tummy issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kilo and I love pumpkin and this product looks fantastic. I mix a spoonful with his kibble dinner regularly. It is sometimes hard to find a small amount of peeled chopped pumpkin to make homemade, I have not found a canned one I like and I only get full pumpkins around holidays. Thanks S

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cook for Layla and add pumpkin in her food all the time as its really good for her tummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been hearing so much about pumpkin for pets lately. Who knew it was so great for dogs? I'm going to have to get some ~RascalandRocco

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would use pumpkin to help with my baby girls belly! sometimes we have some issues...this would be great!

    ReplyDelete