Thursday, December 3, 2015

Solid Gold Green Cow: A novel dog food for picky pups

Sinead with cans of Solid Gold dog food
As dog caregivers, we all know that these critters have discerning palettes—and dog food doesn't always satisfy their taste buds. If given the chance, Sinead would pick decomposing leaves or cat crunchies over her dog food. To her, the stinkier item is always the better.

Solid Gold has done something really novel with this idea. They're producing a food made out of tripe—Which is the first or second stomach of a ruminant like a cow. It might sound pretty gross to a human taste-tester, but for dogs, this product is pretty great. I know, because the team over at Solid Gold sent me a few cans to try.

Solid Gold dog food in a bowl

I'll admit that I was a little worried about trying this food, because I thought it might be stinky. And it did have a touch of odor to it. I got a whiff of beef and grass when I opened up the cans. I didn't exactly make my mouth water, but it also wasn't really disgusting. It just smelled like meat or like dog food.

The dogs caught that scent on the air, however, and they were pretty excited to try this stuff out. As I was dishing up their bowls, they were just dancing around my feet, waiting for me to give the all-clear for chow.

When I did give the signal, both dogs dove right in. And they didn't stop until those bowls were sparking clean. I can say, without hesitation, that these dogs both enjoyed their meal.

Sinead eating her Solid Gold food
Note the blurred ears due to speed eating

The Solid Gold Green Cow product is both grain-free and gluten free. The first ingredient is "green beef tripe," followed closely by beef broth. And the fat content is a slender 3 percent. That makes this food a good choice for everyday feeding. The Dog Food Advisor agrees with me, too, as the site gives this particular product a 5-star rating.

But I can also see using this product as a supplemental or treat feeding. It's just an unusual product for a dog to encounter, and given how excited my dogs were to get it, I would think it would be helpful to have around in case of illness.

For example, when Sinead had a touch of kennel cough earlier this year, her head was clogged and she really didn't seem interested in eating. A can of this stuff might have piqued her interest where nothing else did.

And, with the holidays coming up, I might like to have a can of unusual and/or healthy things around for "special" dinners. I like to include the dogs in my celebrations, and if they like this food, it might be nice to supply it.

Sinead with a can of Solid Gold dog food

So I'm thankful for the opportunity to review this product. And, I have a special for my readers! Solid Gold is giving away one case of this food, and a coupon for dry food, to one lucky winner. Here are the official rules for this sweepstakes.
  • The contest runs between 12 AM Eastern on 12/3/2015 and it ends at 12 AM Eastern on 12/17/2015.
  • No purchase necessary.
  • To enter, use the widget in this blog. No other entry formats allowed. 
  • The number of eligible entries received will determine your odds of winning.
  • The winner will be chosen at random from the eligible entries. 
  • The name of the winner will be posted on this blog, and I'll contact you through the data you provide on the widget. 
  • The winner will have 1 week to claim the prize, and if it's not claimed, a new winner will be chosen at random.
  • The prize will be sent to the winner by Solid Gold, so you'll need to provide a valid mailing address.
  • Open to residents of the United States, older than age 18.
  • Void where prohibited by law. 
Enter here!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Good luck!

I was sent samples to try as compensation for this blog post. I wasn't paid for my time, nor was I provided with specific words to use in my review. All of the opinions expressed here are my own (and they weren't purchased!). 

10 comments:

  1. Layla is such a picky eater am always looking for something new to get her to eat dog food :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Solid Gold, it sounds interesting. I like that it's grain & gluten free. Thanks for your thorough review.
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  3. my girl is a little picky so we are always looking to try new foods that she will like. i like giving her wet food while we are eating dinner to distract her and i have only found a few kinds that she will actually completely finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating, I know. I had cats like that! Here's hoping you can win her over soon.

      Delete
  4. this sounds like something my dog would enjoy. I give her dry kibble all day and then wet food at night. she has never tried tripe but I have heard all great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do the dry/wet combo here, too. The dogs like variety, I think.

      Delete
  5. i would love to have my dog try this...I have heard tripe is so healthy but I have never given it to her before.

    ReplyDelete