Thursday, February 4, 2016

How to spot the perfect bowl for a small dog

Sinead posing with a dog food bowl she likes
When you're a tiny dog with a big appetite, finding the perfect food bowl is vital. Just ask Sinead. When meal time comes around, she needs to gobble down her food as quickly as she can, before the pug gets done and thinks about rushing her with his looming and lip smacking.

I've tried many different bowls with Sinead, and I've struggled to find one that was just right. So I was thrilled when Loving Pets sent me two dog bowls to try for this blog. I agreed to write up my honest response to those bowls in this blog. Now that I've used them both for awhile, I'm ready to tell you what I think!

First off, let's talk about the hygienic factor.

Since Sinead eats a raw diet, I need her bowls to be easily cleaned and hard to scratch. I need to be able to disinfect all of the little surfaces in the bowl so I can make sure she has a safe spot in which to eat. Both of these bowls fit the bill quite nicely, as they're made of stainless steel.

Next, let's talk slipping.

Dogs like Sinead tend to eat by grabbing a tiny piece of food and pushing it up the side of the bowl into their mouths (I have no idea why, but there you have it). That means the bowl tends to move during a meal. Sinead can get around that by standing in her bowl as she eats (which she does), but these products both come with some anti-slip capabilities that allow her to eat a little more daintily.

The first, a Bella bowl that Sinead is posing with above, has a ring of a rubber-like substance on the bottom. So it stays put when Sinead is eating. That's a nice little feature she enjoys. The other, a Dolce diner, has rubberized feet on the bottom, so the whole diner won't move during a meal.
SInead and her diner food bowls
At first glance, I thought this diner would be better for Sinead. It's bigger, so it would be harder for her to push around. And it has two different meal cubbies, so I could put water in one and allow her to sip while she inhales her food.

But, Sinead really is a one-bowl girl. She tended to walk around this diner and try to grab food out of it with her paws, rather than eating out of it. So I think the little bowl works better for her. But, if I was to leave pet food out all the time and I wanted the feeding station to be pretty, I would totally use this setup. It's cute and stylish, and the bowls pop right out for easy cleaning. I'll probably set it up for one of the cats.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the quality of these products. They're sturdy and strong, and they've held up to my weeks of use quite well. I recommend them.

Want to find out more about them? Go here to follow the company on Facebook.

Thanks for visiting!

Disclaimer: I was sent these two sets of bowls as compensation for an honest review. I alone am responsible for this content, and no money changed hands. Rest assured that I only recommend products that I believe provide real value. This disclosure comes in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for checking out our blog a while back. Your comment fell into the wrong "slot" so Mom didn't see it. We think you're doing a pawsome job! We love meeting other humans who love us fur people. Purrs and soft paw pats from Hemingway and Shakespeare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the dreaded SPAM filter. I'm glad you spotted the comment! And thanks for the visit. Always love making new friends.

      Delete
  2. sinead you are model perfect. I can't bring myself to do raw food... good for you, it's likely better for them. Leeanna and Cole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raw feeding is a commitment, and it does take some getting used to. But the benefits are really clear. We just couldn't go back to plain old food.

      Delete