Here's Clue No. 1: The vet took a few cells out of the bump with the help of a needle, and those cells were evaluated with a microscope. More than 95 percent of the cells on that slide were mast cells. That's a pretty clear diagnosis.
And Clue No. 2: After the needle test, Sinead's little bump swelled up to almost three times its size, and it turned an angry red. Change in size and color after manipulation is something that happens to almost every mast cell tumor. Since hers changed, it's again likely that we're dealing with a tumor.
|See the red under the white? That's new.|
That lump will head off to a pathology lab for further testing. It's here that we'll get the definitive lump diagnosis. We'll know, for sure, whether this is a mast cell tumor or something else. And we'll get an idea of how serious this tumor is. The pathologist will grade the tumor and give it a sort of score. That score will tell us whether it's possible that the tumor has spread to other parts of Sinead's body. And that report will tell us whether the margins of the cut are good or bad.
So the next 2 weeks are destined to be hard. This is the point when you wait and wait and wait, both for the surgery and then for the surgery results. It's all too easy to hop onto Google and read up about the terrible things these tumors can cause. And for me, it's all too easy to hop into my mental time machine and get this bump taken off 6 months ago, despite what the tests said at the time.
Neither is helpful.
Right now, my goal is to keep my calm. My wonderful friends at Woof: A Boston Terrier Board have been instrumental with this. I've been a member of this Boston terrier forum for years, and I've met tons of people who have lived through the Boston MCT problem in the past. Many of those people wrote me messages last night, filled with hope about Sinead's chances. I am hanging on to every one of those positive messages.
But I am also a planner. It's how I am and what I do. So I am also researching Portland veterinary oncologists and considering making consult appointments. If Sinead's tumor is serious, or the surgeon just couldn't get it all, I might need to head there for help.
For right now, though, I can't do anything. I wait. I worry.
Do you have good MCT stories to share? Successes? I'd love to hear them. Share your stories in the comments, won't you?
And did you miss yesterday's post about this lump appointment? It's right here.