Monday, February 29, 2016

Shelter cat stories: Callie needs a special Sith-friendly home

Callie the shelter cat standing on her cat bed
As many of you know, I write a cat blog for Willamette Humane Society once a week. And that means I walk the halls of the shelter more than once every week. Often, I spend time with the cats waiting for their forever homes in kennels in the adoption wing. But I also meet the cats resting in medical suites, away from the adoption floor.

That's where I met this girl, Callie. And I've been rooting for her ever since.

Callie came to the shelter as a euthanasia request. She had some digestive difficulties, seemed lethargic and wasn't breathing well. Her family did not have the financial means to dig into all of these problems, and they thought Callie's quality of life was poor. So they asked for help in allowing her to get rid of her discomfort.

The staff examined her, and while they did see the difficulties the family saw, the staff also felt like Callie had a little extra spark of something. She was friendly and calm, and she really loved attention. They wanted to work with her.

Callie the cat sees something in the distance

A food change helped to amend Callie's digestive difficulties. But she still had a very weird health problem. From time to time, she'd roll her shoulders back, dip her head down and let out these weird and long breaths from her gut. It sounded, to me, like some sort of howling or coughing. But then someone told me she sounded like Darth Vader, and boy was that accurate. Once I heard that description, I couldn't get it out of my head.

A throat scope confirmed that Callie did not have a tumor or any kind of deformity. But she does have two types of bacteria deep inside her lungs. When those infections flare, her breathing becomes labored.

Her throat was flushed during the scope and medications have helped to keep the infection down. So now, she has no signs of a breathing disorder. But, those infections remain and Callie remains infectious.

Callie is living in a special suite in adoptions, so she can go home right now. She'll need a home with no other cats, as she can give this problem to others. And her family will need to be alert and aware of her health. If she has a flare, she might need surgery, medications or both.

So she is a project cat. And it's hard to find people who can take her.


Callie is chipper and cheerful during her wait. She loves any kind of attention from anyone who spends time with her. And she is feeling so healthy and robust that she's found her inner kitten. Every time I walk by her suite, I see her dodging and diving and running. It's wonderful.

But at the same time, I can't help but wish that Callie could experience life in a real home, with a real family. I just know there's someone out there that could help.

So I'm hoping we can rally as a cat community and network this girl. She is in Salem, Oregon at Willamette Humane Society. Interested parties can read more about her here. And you can use that page to make a donation to sponsor her care. All of those medical tests and things have made Callie pretty expensive. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you help sweet cat? I hope so!

1 comment:

  1. Callie is so beautiful and her eyes have such a sparkle. I've never heard of an infection in cat's lungs. How sad that she has to be kept in isolation. Hoping for the perfect single cat household for her.

    ReplyDelete