Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Wordless Wednesday: Persian cat and exotic shorthair cat faces

Popoki the exotic shorthair cat
Exotic shorthair cats like Popoki get their flat faces and big eyes from Persian cat ancestors. They have some British shorthair blood in their bodies too, hence the fat cheeks and short fur, but much of their bone structure was programmed by the Persian side of the family.

I've grown really accustomed to Popoki's pretty mug in the 5 or so months since I brought her home from Willamette Humane Society. But over the last week or so, I had a chance to see what she might have looked like if she'd stuck a little closer to her Persian heritage. The shelter took in a group of elderly Persian cats who were left behind when their person died, and those kitties have been resting and recovering and waiting for forever homes.

Last week and this week, when I walked into the shelter to work up the cat blog I guest post for the shelter, I snapped some photos of these kids. And I thought it might be fun to share them for the BlogPaws Wordless Wednesday series. So let's go!

Georgia the very small and beautiful Persian

This bundle of fluff is Georgia. She arrived with deep-set tangles no amount of brushing could remove. So she had a little lion cut. That's why her head looks so big in this photo. Her body is almost gone! Georgia went home with a family who plans to pack her in sweaters, so she'll stay warm until her fur grows back.

See her copper eyes? They're not as bright as Popoki's, but close.

Heidi the all black Persian cat

Here's another gold-eyed beauty. Her name is Heidi, and she's 7yo. She's just a mess of fur and whiskers and fuzzy wonderfulness. And she is also quite dignified. Despite the fact that she was wearing a lot of her breakfast when I stopped to take this photo, she still looks majestic. Maybe that's where Popoki gets her regal nature.

Heidi has not yet gone home, but she has a very interested family. She needs a dental first, before they can come and pick her up.

Spirit is a white Persian cat

And here's what happens when good Persians go wrong. This senior sweetie named Spirit has a mal-aligned jaw, so she can't pull that little tongue inside her mouth. And it's really hard for her to eat and groom her coat. Her eyes are also placed in an odd direction in her head, so she doesn't see all that well.

I can see how that mouth of Spirit is like Popoki's mouth. But I'm glad my girl doesn't have to deal with the plethora of issues that mouth can cause.

Spirit also has an interested family, but she needs a few medical procedures before she heads home. I'm hoping that happens this week.

So what do you think? Can you see the Exotic face in these faces? Drop me a line and let me know. And be sure to visit the other blogs in the hop! You'll be glad you did.

7 comments:

  1. Those are some awesome exotic faces. Love some of the "hair" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That hair is pretty epic, especially on Heidi. I can't imagine how hard it would be to keep that clean!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what beautiful and oh-so-exotic faces! We love, love, love those stunning eyes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eye color gets me every time, too.

      Delete
  3. These are all such beautiful and exoticcats! I hope they all find a forever home soon.

    Even though I find Persians beautiful, I can't resist an exotic shorthair's face, like Popoki. They're just too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia headed home already, and I think that Spirit and Heidi are moving out of the shelter a little later this week. I'm so thankful for people who take a chance on older cats!

      Delete
  4. aaawww... look at those cute faces

    ReplyDelete