Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Cat food review: Against the Grain Captain's Catch

Popoki the cat posing with food
Popoki the cat rarely gets any mail. But back in January, I got a package filled with things just for her. And it came at just the right time. Popoki was making a slow adjustment to this household, and she developed a pretty persistent picky-eating habit. She'd eat canned cat food for a day or two, and then walk away from the same brand/same flavor the next day. It was infuriating, so I was thrilled when I got some samples of a cat food from Against the Grain to try.

Why did I wait so long to review it? It's a fair question. The delay came due to my own persistent pessimism. I didn't want to review a product and give it high marks, only to have Popoki reject it the next day. If I reviewed it and praised it, I wanted to be sure Popoki was actually eating the stuff.

It's been 3 months now, and I'm ready to review. Yup, Popoki is a fan.

Popoki the cat sniffs her food

This canned cat food is both grain- and gluten free. And it contains no preservatives, salt or fillers. The very first ingredient on the label is "ocean fish," and that fish is harvested in Thailand. Those are the high points I look for when I am researching any pet food. I want to make sure I am feeding something that I understand, and I want to make sure that food comes in a format I can trust.

But all of that means nothing if the cat won't actually EAT the food. And that's where this particular cat food really shines.

Closeup photo of canned cat food

Fish-based foods are stinky by nature, and this canned food really kicks up the smell factor. Popoki can smell that food as soon as the can is cracked, and she comes running up for a bite. Also, unlike a lot of other canned foods I've seen, this stuff comes in a chunky, pure format. See those big hunks of fish? They are easy for Popoki to pick up, even with her flat face. Pate formats of food are really hard for her to eat. I just don't have that problem with this food.

Popoki eats about a can of this stuff every day. She gets one little nibble in the morning, and then another little nibble in the evening. Both meals are supplemented with a few crunchy bites of kibble (which she loves). So far, she hasn't turned down even one of these meals. I think we've found a winner!

Have you tried this food before? Love to hear your thoughts in the comments. 

Disclaimer: I was sent a few cans of this food to try. No other compensation was provided. All of the opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Popoki, that sure does look like some tasty (and smelly!) food. We are glad you enjoy it so much! :)

    ReplyDelete