Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sunbathing cats and dogs: A Sunday selfie series

Boston terrier and tuxedo cat sunbathing
Sinead the Boston terrier and Jasper the outdoor cat don't always get along. Sinead sometimes loses her cool and decides to engage Jasper in a not-so-fun game of chase. And sometimes, Jasper likes to use his cat-slap skills to keep Sinead away from things she wants, like the water dish or the back door. So their relationship is a little, shall we say, complicated.

But there's one thing they agree on: When the sun is out, it's time to do some serious sunbathing. They stretch out together to catch some rays, and they don't care who watches them do it. See?

Boston terrier Sinead sleeping next to cat Jasper

Totally shameless. They don't even care that I have my camera out, clicking photos a mile a minute. They want to nap, and they're going to nap. Period.

Cats and dogs with complicated histories should never be left alone in the same place without supervision. Cats can strike out at dog eyes and mouths, and those claws can do a lot of damage. And dogs can get in a big bite and shake, and that could be catastrophic for kitties. Even when the two animals seem fine, it's best to be careful. So Sinead and Jasper can only sunbathe when I am within about 20 feet of their preferred nap spot. That allows me to step in if something goes wrong.

And today, I tried to get them to stop sunbathing long enough to work with me on a selfie to share with the folks at The Cat On My Head. Here's what I got.

Jasper the cat looks very sleepy

Um, no. That's what we call a cat selfie fail. So I'm doing something a little different for the selfie portion of our program.

Here's a snap I took on Friday at Willamette Humane Society for the cat blog I write up for them. This old guy is King George. He's 13+, and somehow, he got separated from his family. He was found roaming around the streets of Salem, looking for food. And he was having a hard time catching any food and defending himself, since he has been declawed in front.

George the senior cat in a selfie

George has been waiting for a home for more than a month, and he's grown a little depressed. He no longer hops down to meet new people. He just stays in his bed. But if you give him just a little attention, he becomes a leaning machine. I snapped this selfie when he was pushing all of his weight into my body. And right after I took the snap, he crawled up and gave me a full body hug.

Now, THAT is a selfie worth sharing, right?


Thanks for looking, and do leave me a comment, so I'll know you were here! Also, if you wouldn't mind, do share this information about King George. We need to get him a home, pronto!

Enjoy the hop!


34 comments:

  1. Nice selfies, I am glad the sun brought them together. Poor King George, that is heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same about little George. I wish I had room in the menagerie!

      Delete
  2. The warm sun can sometimes melt icy relationships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. I know I like people better when I'm warmer!

      Delete
  3. Sharing a sun puddle is always reason for a truce. We hope someone opens their heart and home up to King George.

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing fingers for George, too. I'll keep everyone posted.

      Delete
  4. Happy Sunday Selfies.
    Annabelle, Boo, Ping, & Mr Jinx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sunshine brings everyone together.

    I'm sorry for poor George! I hope his spirits lift and someone will give him a chance and adopts him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may hop over there and shoot some video of the hugs this week. I think he might be hard to resist, when people see how sweet he can be. Plus, he kinda needs hugs right now, poor guy.

      Delete
  6. Sunbaths are great for Sunday Selfies! Hope you're having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope that someone will give poor King George the home he needs and deserves.
    The sun makes everything seem better and worth sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. George looks like such a sweetheart...I hope he's adopted very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is. It's kinda breaking my heart.

      Delete
  9. Oh, how I wish I could help and love King George. I hope so much he gets a loving, devoted home.

    Sunshine is such a peacemaker. It works here too. Sinead and Jasper look so content and happy and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tuxedo pets just love that sunshine.

      Delete
  10. Aww, George - we hope you find a furever home soon. We will send some purrs and prayers! And Sinead and Jasper - the sun brings us all together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the purrs! He needs all the help he can get!

      Delete
  11. Oh, poor King George. We purr that he finds his home soon. How could anyone not love that selfie of his?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel that way, too. But he really does need to start showing off a little. Stiff competition in the shelter these days.

      Delete
  12. King George is so special. Mom will be praying extra hard that he won't have to wait too long to get the new loving and forever home he deserves. Seems a lot of kitties are napping for their selfies today. Thanks so much for being part of our hop. It means so much to us. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! And thanks for the George purrs. It does me good to think he has a network of supporters all across the country!

      Delete
  13. Sunpuddles are gifts of peace from above, we think. :)

    Poor King George. We purr and pray he finds a loving forever home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A warm sunbeam can help anyone get along together. I love those photos but your lean on me selfie is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely Selfie, so here's to a Special Sunday, where everyone comes out with what they need, be it sun or family. purrs ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely sentiment! Thanks for the note.

      Delete
  16. Awww that is the best way to enjoy a sunny sunday,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the pictures with Sinead and Jasper together taking a sunbath, but the Selfie of King George is heartfelt. We purray that he will find a furrever home soon. Good Luck Pawkisses are on the way :) <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. King George is such a lovely senior cat. Sending POTP to assist him in finding a proper permanent home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck George - You NEED that home!!!! jasper - looks a venerable and lovely boy.

    ReplyDelete