Sunday, April 24, 2016

Sunday cat selfies in honor of Earth Day

Lucy the cat with a map
Lucy is one of those curious cats that always likes to check out what you're doing. And if what you're doing involves paper, she often takes the opportunity to turn your paper into a bed. That's what happened this morning. I was looking at a book of maps for an art project (long story), and Lucy decided to check out/sleep on those maps, too.

And it got me thinking.

Last Friday was Earth Day. And as we all know, having an animal like a cat puts a bit of a strain on the Earth we hold dear. So, for my selfies series for The Cat on My Head, I thought I might talk about at least one thing we cat people could to do reduce that strain.

The thing? Dealing with food packaging in an appropriate manner.

The average cat can go through a can of food and/or a few scoops of kibble every single day. And since that food comes in packages that must be vermin proof and germ free, pet food packaging is made of things like plastic or metal.

Many communities have recycling programs for metals, including cat food cans. Recycling those cans is as easy as rinsing them and chucking them into a specialized bin for collection. But, there are some communities that do not support recycling at all. And sometimes, there are facilities we might support that don't recycle.

For example, hubby and I have visited places in Idaho with our dogs that do not have either glass or metal recycling facilities. And I've been in pet food stores that offer samples of products, and that chuck the cans in the trash underneath the table.

Popoki the cat chewing on metal trash
Even Popoki likes to recycle.
I'm the crazy cat person that will pack her cans home from an event. And I'll fish cans out of trashes of events I attend and bring that home, too. I like to walk the talk, and for me, that sometimes means getting a little messy.

Recently, I also found out about a new program from Wellness where you can send in your food packaging (at no charge), and they will recycle that packaging into new products. And each package you send earns points you can donate to cool charities. (Find out more about it here.) I love this program, and I hope more companies do something like this.

But in the interim, I'll be the lady with the car filled with recyclables. It's just how I roll.

One last photo to share with you: This is a snap of an adoptable cat named Mikey. I took it for my blog for Willamette Humane Society this week. This guy is a lover and a cuddler like you wouldn't believe. But he also has FIV, and I think that's putting some adopters off. I love him, and I hope his wait ends soon. (Update: He was adopted just a few hours after I wrote this.)

Mikey the cat snuggling with a person
And I'm sad to report that King George, mentioned in last week's hop, is still waiting for that perfect home. I know the right home is out there, but he hasn't found it yet. If you feel compelled to help, this is a blog post I wrote up about him. Feel free to share it. (Update: He was adopted yesterday! Here's hoping that home is the right one for him.)

That's it for me this week! Thanks, as always, to The Cat On My Head for hosting another epic selfies hop.



Do be sure to leave me a comment, so I'll know you were here. And visit the others in this hop!

11 comments:

  1. Wishing King George the perfect home. Love your Earth Day selfies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to report that King George was adopted yesterday!

      Delete
  2. Your Earth Day selfies were great. Hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same to you! Thanks for the visit

      Delete
  3. That's great that Wellness offers that program. We recycle all our cans.

    Still crossing paws for King George!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray, George was adopted yesterday!

      Delete
  4. Great photos I hope King George and Mikey get a forever home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so proud of my community. Both of these guys found homes yesterday.

      Delete
  5. Sure hope King George gets his forever home soon,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news about the adopted kitties. We will keep King George in our purrayers, that he found his place to be for Always :) Where we live they recycle everything and we have dust-bins for compost and plastic. We like to give a contribution to help the Earth :) Pawkisses for a Happy Weekend :) <3

    ReplyDelete