Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Wordless Wednesday: Tired pugs and neglected dog toys

Liam the pug in his bed looking tired
Here's a fascinating dog fact: The average American will spend more than $1,500 per dog each year. (And the source of that stat is a little old. We might spend even more!) Liam the pug spends a lot of his allowance on high-quality pup food. But there's a second budget line that gets a lot of attention: Toys.

Check out how many toys Liam has in a pile right on the outside of his bed. That makes for easy snacking and chewing, when he gets in the mood to gnaw. And most days, he takes full advantage of those play opportunities.

But today? We're having a lazy pug day.

Liam the lazy pug in his bed
"Yes, I see all of the toys. And?"
Liam the pug in his dog bed
"You don't expect me to get up, do you?"
Why is he so lazy today? I'm blaming the weather. Pugs really don't thrive when the temps climb above 80, and we're hitting that temperature from time to time these days. Liam can't process heat very well through that little snub nose of his, so his energy level takes a nose dive when it's warm.

So it's cute, but it's also something I'll need to be aware of. If he gets too lethargic, I need to whip on the air conditioner to keep him comfortable.

Meanwhile, Sinead has decided that there will be no more pictures for this BlogPaws Wordless Wednesday post. See the stink eye? That means the shoot is over.

Sinead the Boston terrier giving the camera a dirty look

Yikes! So no more making fun of the pug. I get the message!

By the way, have you entered my sponsored 9Lives contest? You could win this really cool cat grooming kit, full of stuff that shelter cats might love if your own pets do not. Enter right here.

And be sure to leave me a comment! I love to read all of your notes. And if you still have time, check out the other blogs in the hop. It's always a ton of fun.

18 comments:

  1. Yep, toys take up a big portion of our pack's allowance too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only allowance was made as easily as it spends, right?

      Delete
  2. My cat had such a big collection of toys (that he ignored most times) that I decided to donate most of them to other kitties and keep only his favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of you. I am sure you made some shelter kitties super happy.

      Delete
  3. Woofs to TOYS!!! Oh 80's means a beach day for SUGAR :-) Have a restful day. Golden Woofs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach sounds absolutely delightful!

      Delete
  4. How adorable! Earl and Ethel LOVE toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet they do! I just love those two little pups and their bearded faces :)

      Delete
  5. Temperature in the 80s? Now you're just showing off! ;)
    Liam does look rather tired, though. Poor wee thing. Maybe he should live in Scotland? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I am showing off a little! And I'm sure Liam would LOVE Scotland. He has the right-ish name and everything!

      Delete
  6. Ruby is not into toys much, but I'm certain we spend $1,500 on food and vet care. Love these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some dogs just don't get the whole toy thing. My first dog really didn't. In fact, some of the toys I have now were his, and they were never used!

      Delete
  7. We are working to spend less on the dogs, not because we don't love them, but because we are looking to spend less overall. I estimate we spend close to $2000 on the pair now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's smart to have a budget. These guys can suck up so much money before you even notice the loss!

      Delete
  8. So cute! I'm thinking Liam and Sinead should get together and create a Toy Story movie with dog toys, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just donated some of our cats' toys to the shelter. The cats there love their "new" toys!

    ReplyDelete