Monday, May 9, 2016

Boston terrier ears: How clean them (without hurting your dog)

Sinead showing off her Boston terrier ears
Boston terrier ears are, in a word, amazing. They stand straight up from the head, with no wrinkles or crinkles to block the view of the ear canal, and they're infinitely movable. Sinead can use those big Boston terrier ears of hers to show excitement (straight up!), fear (pinned back) or trepidation (horizontal and trembling). Since she has no tail, I often use her ears to gauge how she is feeling about a given situation or circumstance.

Since Sinead's ears are so important to her well-being, it's vital to keep them clean. But there are all sorts of wrong ways to go about it.

Sinead the Boston terrier and her big ears

A typical rookie mistake involves cotton swabs. Since Boston terrier ears are so wide open, it seems reasonable to stick a swab down there and pull up the gunk you can see. Unfortunately, a Boston has a great deal of speed on its side. And if a dog turns at the right moment when you have a swab in the ear, you could puncture the ear drum. Not good.

Another mistake: Putting the tip of a bottle of cleanser in the ear. Again, anything sharp could poke through the ear drum very quickly. And, ear cleaners are often a little harsh for delicate eye tissues. If you're pushing on a bottle of cleanser poked in the ear and your dog pulls back, you could squirt that stuff in its eye.

Sinead getting her ear clean

Here's my solution. I saturate a cotton ball with an ear-approved cleaner, and I pop that ball in the outside of Sinead's ear. I squeeze that ball a few times, so the liquid trickles into her ear. And then I stand back. She'll shake her head due to the discomfort of the liquid, and the ball will come flying out.

 I go through this about once a week, and I'll admit that Sinead does not like it much. But she does like what happens next. Treat time!

Sinead the Boston terrier eating cookies
Action shot!
A treat tends to make it all better again.

So that's my method! Anyone else have excellent ear-cleaning tips to share? Hit me up in the comments. I'd love to hear your ideas.

4 comments:

  1. We clean the rex cats' ears weekly here! They are very good about it though and get lots of kisses afterwards. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day :)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    P.S. When I click on your name when you leave me a comment on my blog, I'm sent to a page that is difficult to navigate back to your blog. I'm not even certain this is the blog you use most often . Hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note! Oh, and the comment thing. I usually comment via my Google+ page (rather than typing in all of my credentials). So when you click my name, you head over there. Since I'm not a Wordpress blogger, I can't comment from this site directly. Ah, technology!

      Delete
  2. I admit I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to cleaning ears. But this is great information to have and Sinead looks adorable as always.

    ReplyDelete