Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sleepy kitten Sunday selfies: It's hard to take great cat photos when everyone is asleep

Three kittens sleeping

My three foster kittens (Patrick, Fergus and Kathleen) are still here and still growing. And today, I found out they'll be staying a little longer than I anticipated. You see, when I took these sweeties home almost 3 weeks ago, I was told that they were 5 weeks old. I thought I had super-tiny 8-week-old kittens. But apparently, the math was off. Yesterday, the medical team estimated that these guys are just now hitting the 5-week mark. 

That means I have successfully fostered 3-week-old kittens (yay, me!). And it also means these guys will need to be here for about 4-5 more weeks before they can be adopted.

Kittens at this age do a lot of one thing: Sleeping. And they tend to sleep right where they are standing. That means, on most days, I have sleeping kitten piles somewhere in my house.

Kittens sleeping on a scratching post

Sometimes, they sleep in their beds. Sometimes, they sleep on scratching posts. Sometimes, they sleep in the food dish. When the urge comes on them to catch some snoozes, they just drop what they're doing and fly away into dreamland.

As you might imagine, this makes getting kitten selfies for the blog hop for The Cat On My Head really hard. I hate to wake them up when they look like this.

Three kittens sleeping in a pile

Look at that pile of snuggles! And if this photo came with audio, you'd hear some of them smacking their little lips as they sleep (dreaming about food?). I just can't wake them up when they look like this.

So I decided to do the next best thing and snap a sleeping kitten selfie. Here goes, courtesy of Patrick.

Patrick the sleeping kitten

Despite the encrusted food on his chin, this is pretty darn good! So I'll let him get back to his sleeping now. And thanks to my host with the most for this hop opportunity!


Do visit the other blogs in this hop. I know I will! And be sure to leave a comment, so I'll know you were here.

20 comments:

  1. Successfully raising kittens of that age is a major accomplishment. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such adorable kitties, and that selfie is beyond cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Talk about absolute adorableness! Great job on taking care of the little ones :)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my mouses... THEY'RE SO CUTE! purrs

    Purrs,
    Seville

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMC...nothing better than a kitten pile to elicit a squeee from our mom. She remembers about kittens falling asleep in their food dishes and how adorable that is. We are excited to know they will be around for a few more weeks. Please thank Patrick for sharing his precious selfie. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job taking care of such young kittens. They are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! Those are some great selfies, in the "Easy Like Sunday Morning" style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMD/C...Those are some super cute kitties!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fuzzy crowd :D! Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute!

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am dem darling kitties gonna haz long furs likes mes? Day looks a bit curlyfurry. You ams a furry goods foster mommy wif the sweetest sleepy babies me ever seened...
    -Purrz from Toby, who crawled under Auntie Katiez T-shirt when him first comed into the inside world... and felled asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Fergus and Kathleen will have long hair like you. But I'm not so sure about Patrick quite yet. Some days, he looks super fluffy. Other days, not so much!

      Delete
  12. They are adorable, Dion. You must be a very purroud mom :) Pawkisses for a wonderful day :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures. I miss seeing tiny kittens at the shelter where I volunteer. These days kittens are only brought to PAWS when they are old enough for adoption. But the kittens come to the shelter so much healthier and better socialized after being fostered. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shelter is trying to keep wee ones out of the building, too. So most/all of them are in foster homes like mine. We're using a satellite popup location in a mall for adoptions. It worked super well last year (fewer sick kitties, more adoptions). Win-win!

      Delete