Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Wordless Wednesday: Raising foster kittens

Patrick the foster kitten cuddles with a sock monkey
The foster kittens that joined the Menagerie last week are about 6 weeks old today. And that means they're learning about all things cat, including toys, kitty litter, human companions and FOOD! Some of these things they're handling beautifully. Others... Well, it's more of a process.

Want to see more? Of course you do. And that's what this wordless Wednesday post, hosted by BlogPaws, is all about. So let's get started!

Fergus the fluffy foster kitten

Kitties at the 6-week mark have a lot of growing to do. And that means these kittens also have a lot of sleeping to do. These guys spend a great deal of time either sound asleep or preparing to go to sleep. They can play and run for about 15 minutes, but then they crash. Sleeping and growing is a big job!

Fergus the foster kitten with my shoes

These guys also can't see all that well, so they tend to walk with one body part hugging something solid, like a wall or a piece of furniture or my shoes. They dislike wide-open spaces and a sense of freedom, so they hedge themselves in when they can.

Foster kitten Kathleen covered in food
And eating solid food remains a little elusive. These guys all want to eat, and at times, they eat quite well. But episodes of eating often become episodes of WWF wrestling, and someone always ends up with his/her back and head in the food dish. Since I am diluting that food with a little KMR, it's a sticky and gluey consistency. So kitties that dive in become kitties that are absolutely filthy.

Kathleen is often the kitten at the bottom of the food pile. Here's how she looks when I pluck her out and wash her with a washcloth. You'll notice I still can't get all the food off. It's tough, because I want her to be clean. But I need to be sure not to get her too wet. She can get a chill if I do that, and it's not good for her.

So I look for ways to compromise. Most of the time, these guys are *pretty* clean. I'm just hoping they'll be better eaters and better groomers very soon.

Patrick the foster kitten on my feet

In general, raising foster kittens is super rewarding. You're saving a life! And you get to have a ton of fun watching these guys grow (just look at how Patrick sleeps on my feet!). But it isn't something for the feint of heart. It's messy, time-consuming business.

Those who can't foster but want to help can help me--and my foster kittens. I'm participating in a walk with Sinead this summer to benefit the Willamette Humane Society. I'd love your donation, no matter how small. Every cent goes to help animals in need, just like Patrick, Fergus and Kathleen. Here's a link.

Please leave me a comment, so I'll know you were here. And do visit the other blogs in the hop! You'll be glad you did.

4 comments:

  1. It's awesome that you're helping these cuties get off to a good start. They sure make you laugh with all their antics, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute babies! We think it's wonderful that you're fostering them. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom so admires all those who foster. With eight of us she just can't do it. But she sure enjoys seeing all the little darlings on the various blogs. Keep up the good work. You are appreciated. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute cute kittens! Thanks for the share, love the pics!

    ReplyDelete