Thursday, June 9, 2016

Get ready for the WillaMutt Strut: A fun fundraiser for Willamette Humane Society in Salem

Sinead in her dress by a lawn sign
Dog, cat and other animal rescue is something that I'm passionate about. And since I already have a home that's pretty darn crowded, I have to rely on public and private agencies to do the rescue work for me. And I know these agencies can't do the work I believe in unless they have funding.

This weekend, I'm going to raise some funds for my local animal shelter. I hope you'll join me. And if you can't be there in person, I hope you'll consider helping me to raise some funds (more on that in a minute).

The event is called the WillaMutt Strut, and it takes place on the waterfront in Salem, Oregon. The action starts on Sunday the 12th at about 10. There are all sorts of cool things going on during the event, including games and pet-friendly vendor booths and fly dog demonstrations and obedience demonstrations. If it has to do with dogs, there's probably someone there talking about it.

The event also features a really gorgeous 5k walk that starts at the waterfront park, takes you over the river, sends you past really pretty fields and then back again. On Sunday, I'll be taking that walk with little miss Sinead here.

Sinead is ready for the strut

She'll be easy to spot, as she'll be the tiniest Boston terrier at the event. And if the weather is nice, she'll be wearing this little yellow dress with the owls on it. If you see us, stop us! I'd love to visit.

You can register for the event right here, and I encourage you to do so. Your entry fee gets you things like a shirt and some dog goodies. And that fee helps to support all of the good work that Willamette Humane Society does.

And that work is really remarkable. This is an open-admission shelter, which means the team here takes in every pet that walks through the door, without screening for temperament or adopt-ablility. A lot of shelters in the area just don't do that. And, this is a shelter administration that works so hard to get the perfect fit for animals in need. Innovative programs like the Barn Cat Program help to place animals that are too fractious for home life. And comfort programs like the Kennel Buddy program help scared animals to learn to love again.

It's not all about dogs, either. Little ones like Patrick and Fergus here wouldn't have a chance without a shelter to feed them, house them, vaccinate them, test them, neuter them, pair them with fosters, screen families and rehome them.

Sleeping kittens

If you're in the area, I hope you'll come. But if you're not in the area or you aren't all that into walking or spending time in a crowd like this, consider donating to my fundraising page. All of the money collected here will go toward Willamette Humane Society's work. I'd love to gather up an impressive donation, and I think you can help. Even a tiny bit helps. The page is here.

Thanks, in advance, for your support. And I hope to see you at the Strut!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful event for you and Sinead. Isn't it great to get some exercise and have some fun while supporting a good cause?

    ReplyDelete