Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Hot Boston terrier still wants to play ball

Sinead the Boston terrier is panting due to the heat
A key part of the Boston terrier temperament: The need to play hard and often. Sinead may be the smallest Boston terrier most people have ever seen, since she tops out at just 7 pounds, but she might have the biggest play drive of any dog out there. To her, a day is simply not complete unless there have been a few sessions of very vigorous play to break things up.

And that's a problem when the temperature climbs. Want proof? I've got just the thing (and just in time for Wordless Wednesday, as hosted by BlogPaws!).

Sinead the Boston terrier is very hot

I snapped these photos a little earlier this week, when the temperature was climbing into the double digits. The whole family, dogs and cats and humans alike, were relaxing in air-conditioned spaces or in the basement. I hopped up to get a cool drink from the fridge, and Sinead followed me. The room we're in during this photo shoot is not air conditioned, and it gets ample afternoon sun. So it was hot. Like really hot.

And yet, Sinead wanted me to throw that ball.

Sinead the Boston terrier with a ball

She absolutely would not give up until I threw it. And once was just not enough. As soon as I threw this thing, she brought it right back for another go.

Athletic little Boston terriers like this will run themselves into the ground, if you let them. And their need for play is stronger than their need for self-preservation.

In the summer, I have to make a point of playing with Sinead very hard at least once in an air-conditioned room, and I have to repeat that action in the evening when the air cools. If she can get in a few laps around the bed in mechanically cooled air and then a few laps in the yard under the moonlight, she's good to go. But without it, we have a hot maniac dog on our hands.

How well will she do in Phoenix, when we head to the BlogPaws conference?

Sinead the Boston terrier looking curious

I think we're all more than a little curious about that. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks, as always, to the hop hosts for their work. Be sure to visit the other blogs in the hop, so you can make new blogger friends. It's a ton of fun. And before you go, be sure to leave me a comment, so I'll know you were here!

8 comments:

  1. Sinead sounds kind of like our Zoe (cat), who is very active and busy doing something. If she and her sister Gracie get some good play sessions in, everyone is happier when it's time for bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so hot this past week! And we don't have AC. I hope the Oregon dogs don't wilt in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget to bring her ball to Arizona? I hope I get the chance to meet both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We feel your pain! Only Ziva isn't small enough to exercise indoors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like quite the little ball of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm SO glad I get to meet you in person! I'll be at the event as well - I'll look out for you Thursday a.m. Cannot wait to meet you both! I hear you about the heat - AC games just doesn't cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer can be hard for many dogs when it comes to playing outdoors. For the Boys, we have to worry about their paw pads. Not good for them to be outside when it's very hot.

    ReplyDelete