Sunday, June 5, 2016

Saying goodbye to foster kittens: A sweetly sad Sunday Selfie series

Kathleen the foster kitten sleeps with Liam the pug
In the month or so that foster kittens Fergus, Patrick and Kathleen have been here, they've become an important part of the family. They've helped Liam through his crate rest, they've taught Sinead that there are moving creatures that are smaller than she is, and they've provided me with key snuggles at the end of a long day. When they go, I will miss them. And that day is coming.

All three of these kittens have surpassed the 2-pound mark, and that means all of them can be safely altered. So on Friday, all of them will go back to the shelter for surgery. And that means I'll have to say goodbye.

I thought today, for the Sunday selfie series hosted by The Cat On My Head, I'd share some thoughts about all of them, and what I hope for their future.

Patrick the kitten sleeping belly up

Patrick is the showstopper of the bunch, with his beautiful markings and his open and welcoming ways. This little guy is not afraid of anyone or anything. He's so trusting, in fact, that he sleeps like this almost all of the time, even when he's in the arms of strangers.

I hope Patrick will keep that sense of openness as he grows. I see so many cats that are shut down and defeated by their lives, and they're too worried to accept the love of the people around them. Patrick is different. And I hope he keeps that difference for the rest of his life.

Pat has been pre-adopted by a family that owns an alpaca farm, so he'll head to work on the farm during the day and then cuddle up with peeps at night. It's a good choice for this busy boy.

Fergus the kitten in a selfie


Fergus here is a gorgeous boy with long hair, bright blue eyes and smoke-colored ears. He's also the sweetest and kindest of the bunch. He was the first one to purr, and he purrs every single time he claps eyes on me. He loves nothing more than to be snuggled and held.

Fergus was pre-adopted by the same family that chose Pat, which means he also will have an active life, if he chooses it. I suspect that he might be a lazy boy who prefers to stay home while his brother works. And I hope he can transfer the love he has for me to other humans. I never hear him purr around other people. I hope he finds that purr.

Kathleen the foster kitten

And finally, Kathleen. She is really becoming a beautiful girl with soft and thick grey fur and pretty green eyes. Now that she isn't covered in food all of the time, it's easier to see how pretty she is.

Kathleen has no family quite yet, which means she'll need to spend at least a few hours in a kennel at the shelter. I hope she can get through that without the comfort of her brothers and connect with a family that will love her as much as I do. Kathleen is sweet and placid and calm in almost all situations, so I know she'll do well. But I hope her stay in the shelter is a short one.

Popoki the cat looking angry

I tried to do a love connection between Popoki and Kathleen, thinking that maybe the older kitty would accept a kitten when she wouldn't accept an adult. No dice. Popoki can tolerate Fergus one on one, but there's something about Kathleen that she just doesn't like. And I know she'll be happy when she has this writing studio to herself all the time instead of part of the time.

So today, what would you like to say to Pat and Ferg and Kat? Let me know, and I'll read your comments to them aloud.

Thanks, as always, to our awesome hosts.



And be sure to visit the other blogs in the hop!

14 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine how hard it will be to let the foster kittens go - just by your descriptions, I fell in love with each one by the end of the post. When I started our blog, it was important for me to show people that every single life matters - there's potential and love in every single kitten. I know because a once-homeless kitten has saved my life every day for the past ten years. You've make that point extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - We're so glad to meet you! We found you on Facebook and Twitter too so we can keep up with your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing the kittens all the best in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be so hard to say goodbye, but you have given the kittens a good start in their lives. It is nice that the 2 boys will go to their new home together. It is a pity that Kathleen couldn't have gone too. I hope her forever home comes along very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We want to send these three doll babies on their way with best wishes for long and happy futures in loving homes. They each are so precious and adorable. We will also miss them. Thanks for hopping. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great selfies - hope their furever homes are first rate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine the hardest part is letting go but you've started them on a beautiful life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ww wish all the best to the kittens as they head off to their new lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck to these little kitties as they continue their journey to their forever homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all such cuties. I hope they have great lives in forever homes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We hope you have found a good furrever home, kitties, a good one as your foster home :) An Extra Pawkiss for your foster mummy, she deserves it :) <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are all so adorable! Wishing them the best of luck in their new homes :)

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat and Ferg, I hope you love your new home on the farm and your new family love you a ton! Kat, I sure hope you find your forever & ever home very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for loving Pat, Ferg and Kat so much and so well. We'd just like to wish them all happy, healthy, love-filled happily ever afters.

    ReplyDelete