Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Dog product review: Meat sticks for evening treats

Liam the pug and my glass of wine

I love my dogs, and I love to include them in most of the things I do. But there are some things I love that are absolutely unsuitable for dogs. Case in point: I like to unwind at the end of the day with a nice glass of Oregon pinot. But Liam the pug and Sinead the Boston terrier can't have wine (or beer, as I have discussed).

What to do?

A few months ago, I found a solution. I was reading about a man who had a cookies/cocktail hour with his wife and their dogs. For years, their tradition was to have one cocktail at the end of the day while the dogs had one cookie. Everyone got a treat. It's a tradition the man continues, even though his wife is gone.

I thought Liam might like this tradition.

Liam the pug on the deck

And my BlogPaws swag bag is packed to the gills with all sorts of things that might work well for a cookies/cocktail tradition. But since pugs eat their cookies so darn fast, I knew I'd need something a little more substantial than a simple cookie to satisfy them.

This week, I've been trying Rocky's Rollers from Jones Natural Chews during the cocktail hour. I thought I'd do a little review for the BlogPaws (almost) Wordless Wednesday blog hop.

Dog treats in a lavender bush

These treats are made in the United States, and the very first ingredient is chicken. They do contain a few flavorings and preservatives, but the overall ingredient list has less than 20 things on it. And I know what 99 percent of those ingredients are and what they can do.

The treats come in a very handy re-sealable pouch, and when I break out that pouch, everyone comes running.

Liam the pug and his treat stick

The sticks themselves are several inches long, so they're much too big for dogs to eat all at once. But here's the genius part. These sticks break apart really easily. I can snap them into all sorts of pieces with my bare hands (no tools!).

There's a downside to that, of course, as treats that break apart are treats that can be gobbled lickety split. But I feel as thought I've spent too much of my life breaking up treats with hammers and knives and spoons. For now, I think it's lovely to have a treat I can just snap into servings. And the dogs appreciate those fast meals, too.

Pug and Boston terrier and treat sticks

(Notice how they're both sitting nicely for their treats.)

If you're looking for a treat that can keep a dog occupied throughout an entire cocktail hour, these are not the right treats for you. But if you're looking to simplify a cocktail hour and give dogs something fast and tasty, these could be a great choice.

Have you tried these treats before? Or do you have a treat recommendation? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Shoot me a note in the comments. And be sure to check out the other blogs in this hop! You'll be glad you did.

Disclaimer: This is an unpaid product review. I did not win nor was I sent these treats. They came in a package I received in exchange for my attendance at an event. All opinions are my own.

8 comments:

  1. We haven't tried these, but I do like that they break apart easily. Also, love the idea of cookies and cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I trade my cocktail for a cookie? Or can I have both?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! I've been looking for something like this that's not too hard. I could even put the pieces inside of the treat ball Haley loves. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tired these treats yet, but they sure look yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We JUST opened these yesterday and I took one of the treats and cut it up into tiny "hot dog" slices and filled a kong with it... they dogs lost their minds. I wasn't sure how soft a treat it may or may not be, but we're fans. I agree with you - the ingredients are awesome. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those DO look great! And we love seeing Sinead and Liam sitting so nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We LOVE the Rocky Rollers and have been enjoying them this week. Yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I haven't tried this treats yet, but it is looking so yummy!!! I will definitely try it. How about peanut butter cheesecake. My sweet puppy loves it. I purchased 3-4 packs from Posh Puppy Boutique for him. He just loves this cake. I will try this above treat once. Hope he will also like it.

    ReplyDelete