Sunday, July 3, 2016

Sunday cat selfies: Kitties have a brilliant 4th of July hack

Fergus the kitten wearing headphones

Kittens get into everything, all the time. Everything I have in my house is up for grabs with Fergus. If he can touch it, that thing becomes both his and a great toy. Today, he found my big sound-cancelling headphones. And now, I'm starting to wonder if he's smarter than I give him credit for.

In the week before and the week after the 4th of July, my neighborhood sounds like a war zone. There are small booms, big booms, crackles, fizzles and flashes of light. It starts at dusk and it doesn't stop until the wee hours of the morning.

Thankfully, my cats are pretty accustomed to noises. They watch television with me, and hubby really likes shoot-'em-up flicks. So they might feel as though they're under fire on an average day. But blind Lucy is beginning to struggle with the loud booms of the 4th. I wondered if I could get her to wear these headphones and if I could pipe in some quiet music to keep her calm.
 
Lucy the cat wearing some headphones

She was sleeping in her favorite little bed, so I slipped the phones over her head (just like Fergus wore them). She didn't seem to mind them sitting there, and she purred happily while I petted her.

Next step: Hooking the phones up to the ipod and piping in some tunes. I chose some very soft jazz at a very quiet volume. Again, she didn't seem to mind. She just sat and listened.

And suddenly, I thought this might make a nice selfie to share with the great people (and kitties) at The Cat on My Head. A change of angle, and we have a perfect jazzy selfie!

Lucy the blind cat in headphones

She's still soaking up some Miles Davis here. And given the position of her ears, she's digging the beats. If I saw flat ears, this experiment will be done.

Will this work when the rockets red glare begins to show up? Who knows. But for now, I'm happy to have another innovative solution up my sleeve. And you gotta admit that she looks darn cute in this getup, right?


Thanks as always to our wonderful Kitties Blue hosts. Be sure to check out the other blogs connected in this hop. It's a great way to make new friends. And be safe on the 4th! If you have some cat soothing tips I simply must try, leave me a note in the comments!

13 comments:

  1. Lucy, you DO look like you're listening and enjoying. What a great idea your human had. And you look VERY classy in those magenta earphones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he is very smart and adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fergus is one smart cookie, er, kitten! Lucy's selfie really is adorable, and I cant help feeling she'll be tapping a paw to the beat come the 4th July... purrs ERin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yur Lucy iss adoorabull with thee headfoness!!! Shee lookss purrty ZEN fur sure.....
    Sinseerlee, Siddhartha Henry =^,.^=

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fergus you sure are a cutie and Lucy is such a beauty too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fergus is a real smart kitty! And grooving on Miles Davis? Good taste in music, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw how sweet! They make some classical CDs that are specifically meant to calm dogs and cats. They say they've studied it and it really works. Supposed to be good for shelters too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fergus started something...:)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smart kitty... listen to mewsic on the fourth...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how sweet! love that they were wearing the headphones like that!
    Our Dog-guy is going deaf, so he doesn't hardly react to those fireworks too much anymore...the silver lining, we assume.

    Love the selfie too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good taste of music, Fergus and great selfies with the headphone :) Granny always puts on some music too to calm down...not only for me btw ;) Pawkisses for a musically day :) <3

    ReplyDelete