Thursday, August 11, 2016

Dog shampoo review: Lucy Pet Products Surfin' Jack Moisturizing Shampoo

Sinead the Boston terrier posing with bottles of shampoo

Sinead the Boston terrier may look dainty and small. But deep down inside, she's a rough-and-tumble little pup with a deep-set need to bathe in both the grass and the dirt. Every day, after she gobbles down her lunch, she heads outside for some quality get-dirty time. And every week, we wash off that dirt in a bath.

There are plenty of dog hygiene products out there that I could use. But I heard about this product line from Lucy Pet Products at BlogPaws, and it piqued my interest. As some long-time readers know, I tried a cat litter from this company a few months ago, and I was a huge fan. So when they asked me to try out and write some notes about their new shampoo product line, I immediately agreed.

All products made by the Lucy Pet Products company work as fundraisers for the Lucy Foundation. This is a 501c3 foundation created back in 2013 that's exclusively focused on dealing with the pet overpopulation problem in the United States. The foundation does that by supporting mobile spay/neuter clinics across the country. One clinic can spay and neuter over 120 dogs and cats per week. Funding those clinics could do an immense amount of good. And every purchase you make of a Lucy Pet product can help you to support that work.

In addition, Lucy Pet Products follows sustainable manufacturing practices. These shampoos are packaged in recyclable metal bottles, and they're produced in a solar-powered facility in Southern California.

Sinead the Boston terrier wrapped in a towel

I know what you're thinking: "Yes, but does the stuff actually work?"

I'm happy to report that it really does. We tried the Surfin' Jack Moisturizing Coconut Shampoo, which lathers up beautifully and rinses out without leaving nasty residue behind. There are no parabens, sulfates, phosphates or other harsh ingredients in this shampoo, which makes it safe for Sinead's very sensitive skin. And the coconut ingredients are great for reducing redness and itching.

See the red in this photo? That's an allergy breakout on Sinead's chest from lying in the grass. The Lucy shampoo has helped to reduce that redness just a touch, and I would imagine we'll get further benefit with continued use.

The shampoo also comes paired with a refreshing spray, with the same tropical scent. I can use that as a little touchup after Sinead's noon-time rollings. And if I keep it in the refrigerator, it also helps her to stay cool when the weather heats up.

I was sent home with a few other samples to try, and I do have one tiny complaint about those. The Lucy Pet Product shampoo line has several different scents, and some are just a little too strong and perfume-like for my palette. A berry-scented product seemed especially pungent to me. I do have a  sensitive nose, so this might be my own issue that no one else would have. But I'd urge you to smell everything carefully before you buy, if you choose something other than this coconut.

Those sniff tests should be easy, as these products are readily available. For example, I was pleased to find that this shampoo and conditioner pair were up for sale in my local pet supply store (Salem Pet Supply on Market in Salem). But I've also been told that these products are up for grabs at Petco stores nationwide.

To sum up, I highly recommend these products, both for the value they offer individual pets and the good they can do for unowned pets in the community. Have you used them before? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

Disclaimer: I was given product samples as part of my attendance at BlogPaws, and I told the company I'd write up a review in return for those samples. No money changed hands for this review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your honest review. If something smells strong to us, imagine how strong it smells to a dog. Cute photos :)

    ReplyDelete