Sunday, August 28, 2016

Remembering cats that have come before

Troy the cat in his bed

Since January, I've been looking through old cat blog and dog blog entries, optimizing those entries for search. I've been labeling photos, tagging text, adding in subheads, checking for broken links and, in general, doing all of the SEO stuff that's supposed to boost your rank in search.

True confession: SEO is my day job, so I should have been doing this stuff since the beginning. But I didn't, and now I have to go back and make it all right. Grrr.

Anyway, this project has its rewards. I have seen my rank increase and my site is performing much better than it did a year ago.

But there's been an unexpected pang of sadness as I get closer and closer to the entries I wrote last summer. Now, I'm coming across three faces of cats that all died within a very short timespan last year.

I'm hoping that by writing about them now, I can lance the wound and feel better. And since it is Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day, sharing them as part of the blog hop for The Cat On My Head seems appropriate. So here goes.

Eamon: My heart cat

The first to leave us was Eamon. He was a very old kitty with a very long (and well documented) history of arthritis in his back and elbows. We reached a point at which medications could no longer touch his pain, and he started biting me, his cat siblings and the dogs. He was lashing out, and we couldn't let it go on. So I took him in to the clinic and had him released from his pain.

Gorgeous Eamon cat looks out the window

Eamon was my heart. I first met him when he was just 2 weeks old, when he came tottering over to me using his sense of smell, since his eyes weren't quite open. A coworker needed to find homes for kittens, and I promised to come and look to appease this coworker's lovely daughter. I fell in love with the spirit of this young and fierce girl, and I loved the kittens, too.

Eamon was with me through two states, six homes, four boyfriends, three dogs and countless cats. He purred me awake every morning and rubbed me with his face every night. Losing him was one of the worst things that ever happened to me. And it's made a little worse in that the lovely young girl that introduced me to him also lost her life recently. I hope she and Eamon are reunited somewhere.


Beorn: Hubby's rescue cat

As hubby and I were reeling from Eamon's death, we also became aware that hubby's old Russsian blue boy Beorn was losing his fight against kidney disease. Despite his special diet and the fluids we provided, he was wobbly on his feet and unwilling to be petted. Hubby took him to our clinic for his goodbyes. 

Beorn the rescue cat

Beorn was rescued from a hoarding/breeding situation when he was just 5 weeks old. Hubby bottle fed him, and while he helped to place all the other kitties, he couldn't let Beorn go. He was hubby's companion for more than 16 years, through deaths, moves and more. He was even bumped by a car at one point, and he made a full recovery. He accepted me almost as soon as he met me, and he was tolerant of the dogs, which is surprising, given that he had no prior canine experience.

Troy: The first hospice rescue cat

Just as we thought we couldn't take any more, we realized that our sweet rescue cat Troy was not long for the world. We had no idea how old he was when we rescued him, and we knew he had the beginnings of kidney disease. The form he had was aggressive and also silent. I expected to have him for at least a year. As it turned out, we only had 9 months together.

Troy the cat on his bed

During those 9 months, Troy slept on his bed on my desk, right next to my left hand. His purrs helped me through the day, and at night, I carried him back into the house like a conquering hero. I'll never forget his gravely little mewl by the back door when it was time to go to work, and the look of sheer contentment on his face while he slept. My heart breaks for all the time we might have had together, and all of the abuse he must have suffered before he came here. And to this day, I miss him.

This summer is so much better, in so many ways. My pets are healthy and happy, and I even have a new little face to love. But the losses stay with me sometimes--preserved in amber from those old blog posts.

Thanks for reading. And thanks, as always, to our hosts.






Be sure to join in, if you can. And do leave me a comment, so I'll know you were here.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my, how ever life has a tale to tell, and on this special day, I find so much love and life and loss and then life and love reborn. Thank you for sharing your lovely friends. purrs ERin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All three are beautiful. I had a similar year in 2009 when I lost three cats in six months. It was heartbreaking. They all became sick at the same time and went one right after the other.

    I hope writing this post and sharing their stories brought you some peace ...

    P.S.: Totally unrelated, but how do you ad sub headers in blogger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Select the text you want to edit and scroll up to the toolbar. You'll see a button with a pull-down that reads "normal." It the triangle and drag down to "subheading." Bingo!

      Delete
  4. They were all beautiful. Thank you for sharing your memories today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a wonderful tribute,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the lives that live on in your heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice tribute to all your beautiful angels. We never forget those we love, they really do leave pawprints on our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You touched my heart with the beautiful stories about these amazing kitties. My very first heart kitty was Thelma. She only lived to age 12. Madison was my second. He only lived to age 10. Now there is Astrid. But I love all my babies current and past, and I pray we will be together again. Thank you for sharing your lovely angels and their stories with us on this special day. Love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such heartfelt, loving memories of your beautiful angels. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    Hugs, purrs and prayers as you remember...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have tears in my eyes reading about your kitties. A beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post is not only a tribute, it is a gift to us all. I know I lost Dash and have not really recovered, I know he will meet your cats across he Bridge and they will spend time talking about us here below.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Caring and thoughtful, a truly beautiful post about beautiful kitties.

    ReplyDelete